if a chain breaks what do i do

tonyrees68
tonyrees68 Posts: 69
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
hi ive read that a chain can break at any time if it does what do i do .i have a multi tool that has a chain tool on it but when this happens do i need extra bits to fix it when out on a ride . i know nothing about this . is it a case of just taking the link off and joining it up again or do i need spare parts
forgive my lack of experience any help welcome
tony

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Depends on the chain. Shimano chains need to be repaired with shimano pins, SRAM chains can be re-joined with a Powerlink, other chains can be rejoined with one of the pins already in the chain.

To get you home remove the busted link and rejoin, shortening the chain by one link won't make a lot of difference, just avoid gear combinations where the chain is stretched. You should probably replace the chain once a link has snapped although in the past I've continued to ride with a shortened chain (before I knew any better).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • thanks stump its a shimano chain so i need some pins then. am i right in thinking what you mean by gear combos is that the front gear is on the large ring and the rear is on the small ring and this stret ches the chain or vise versa is this what you mean , cheers for the info
    so when i go to my bike shop if i say that i need some pins they wil know what iam on about
    ty tony
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I'm pretty sure you can use the SRAM powerlink on a SHimano chain, so you just carry a SRAM Powerlink and pop that on.

Not used Shimano chains though so someone please correct me if I'm wrong :oops:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • thanks for that cjw iam not sure ,what to ask for though , it seems simple enough to do, ive got zinns book on how to do this change, but i really am confused what i shoud carry in my spares
    do i need extra links or just get a new chain and carry that with me
    regards tony
  • stumpyjon
    Tony

yes you understood correctly about the gear combos. Any decent bikeshop will be able to sell you the pins. they look like this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ain%20Pins

be careful there are two types, the one in the link is for 7 & 8 speed chains, the narrower 9 speed chains use a different pin.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ain%20Pins

They are actually double the length of a standard pin, the idea is you push the first narrow part in by hand, it's a loose fit and allows you get your chain back together, you then use the chain tool to push it all the way in so that the narrower section comes out the other side. You then snap the pin in half to remove the narrow part. I tend to use a pair of pliers to do the snapping although they do break fairly easily as they are designed this way (surprisingly enough).

• OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    cjw wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you can use the SRAM powerlink on a SHimano chain, so you just carry a SRAM Powerlink and pop that on.

I tried using a powerlink on a shimano chain when mine snapped during an event, it didnt work :oops: :lol: I just took out the broken link and rode the rest with a shortened chain.
    Ive always though it good practice to get a new chain after one has broken, the broken one will always be weeker.
  • stumpy thanks for that info , its beginning to make things a lot clearer now ,just one more thing if you have time to answer ,if you were to get a new chain what would you get , i have a GT Avalanche 1.0 2007 and just getting into the whole thing and looking forward to maintaining my bike properly
    regards tony
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Care must be taken when rejoining chains. Whether with pins or a master link. Either
    way get someone with a bit of experience to show you the first couple of times.
    For what it's worth I always buy Sram chains and they come with a master link.
    So you don't have to mess around putting a new pin in place. I carry a spare master
    link with me anytime I go riding.

Dennis Noward
  • Olly / Dennisn /Stumpy thanks for the help and your time ill get a new chain for my rides and ty again il be asking more questions befor too long sorry if it gets boring but ill learn some day
    cheers tony
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    OllyUK wrote:
    cjw wrote:

I tried using a powerlink on a shimano chain when mine snapped during an event, it didnt work :oops: :lol: .

Thanks for putting me right. :D
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • just to say iam up for learning about to how look after my bike even though i can throw money at it to service it but thats what i dont want to do . its my 1st new bike and want to enjoy it
    thanks again
    tony
  • OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    tonyrees68 wrote:
    just to say iam up for learning about to how look after my bike even though i can throw money at it to service it but thats what i dont want to do . its my 1st new bike and want to enjoy it
    thanks again
    tony

well you've got the best guide for it, Zinn's is fantastic and so simple at describing what to do when I adjust/fix something I haven't done before.
  • yes i enjoy zinns book its really good but its good hearing from you guys who have the experience .i havnt had to fix anything yet , but it will happen and all your help is total gold
    tony
  • stumpyjon
    Glad to see you're keen to fix your bike as well as ride. I enjoy fettling my bike as much as riding. Only way I gained experience was to try things safe in the knowledge that if I really stuffed up the LBS could usually put it right. Glad to have been able to help.

• chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Here's some things I've read/learnt/tried with chains.

The sram power link works with sram and shimano chains, no problem at all.

Yes it can be a bit fiddly to undo and do but you shouldn't have to use any tools. Sometimes if I can't unjoin I'll spray a little oil or gt85 to clean the pins/lbricate, the chain then undoes very easily. I've never had to undo a chain in the field.

In the past I've messed up the original cutting of the chain and then had to use a short length and an extra sram joinner. This might seem bad but if you think about it, if you do this, you know have two places where you can unjoiin if you have problems. I've read that someone had a chain made entirely out of sram joiners.

Since I'm not paranoind I never carry any chain tools or extra links. Then again on my last mtb ride I did snap a chain so from now on I will be carrying chain kit for mtb, this will be a chain tool, 2 sram connectors and a very short length of an oldish chain. I still wont bother carrying chain kit on my road bike.

I wouldn't bother with expensive chains. The reason I say this Is that rumour has it that one of the best timetrialists in Britain, Michael Hutchinson, uses a new cheap chain for every important race. He's the type that would have done some measuring of this sort of thing. So it would suggest that a new cheap chain is better than an older more expensive chains.

Hope that helps
  • I put an SRAMpowerlink on my shimano 8spd chain earlier and it was tight but it went on. i just had to lock the back brake and pedal to get it clicked into place.

WOOT first post. been visitin the site and forums for advice for a while and figured id lend a hand with what i know