My first Proper MTB...

2Thumbs
2Thumbs Posts: 15
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello there,

After about a week of looking through the forum, I've decided to pop my head over the fence and post a thread. ;) Excellent community here and a wealth of a resource for info.

Anyway, after many weeks of looking I feel I've decided on my next bike. I am new to MTB though as I've been doing BMX since I was around 6.

The Bike I've chosen is a '06 Giant XTC EX. For £590, any other bike in the price range just doesn't compare in terms of components.

I do have a question though, will it fit me?:

It's only a 14" frame. I'm by no means tall but I just wanted a bit of confirmation.

I'm about 5'6" tall with a 27-28" inside leg.

My arm length is around 20" and the top tube length of the bike is 21.5(ish)".

TBH I would prefer something that's a bit smaller as I'd feel it's more "chuckable".

All opinions are welcome ofcourse on the bike itself and size.

Thanks, Chris. :D

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Should be good i'm 5'11 and have a 17" xc frame, 16" fr. For the ups you can always put the seat up anyway!
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    I think It will be too small. I have the 19" Giant XTC Ex and I'm 5ft 8. I had a 17" GT prior to that but found the frame too small. If you buy it (no one seems to have anything bigger than 14" left) you are likely to persevere as I did with the GT. But all the time I needed something slightly bigger. You couldn't do better for the money than the Ex. It's a super bike, very light and great fork. I can't find fault with it. As Supersonic will be on to tell you, it is vital you sit on a bike before buying it. If indeed you can't see past the Ex, I would phone around in the hope of picking up a 17". There might be one in some cycle shop somewhere. You would be well rewarded for finding one. Good luck.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    2Thumbs wrote:
    It's only a 14" frame. I'm by no means tall but I just wanted a bit of confirmation.

I'm about 5'6" tall with a 27-28" inside leg.

My arm length is around 20" and the top tube length of the bike is 21.5(ish)".

TBH I would prefer something that's a bit smaller as I'd feel it's more "chuckable".

All opinions are welcome ofcourse on the bike itself and size.

Thanks, Chris. :D

Rule of thumb for a hard-tail - your inside leg measurement minus 14" should give you a good starting point for a frame size. As you have stated your inside leg is 27/28" so a 14" frame should be bang on.

Have you actually tried the bike for size? That's the only sure-fire way of seeing if it fits!

Givien your BMX background you'll probably feel more comfortable on a smaller frame anyway as the bike will feel more agile.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Hello 2thumbs, I'm afraid I'd have to say I think it will be too small for you.

My wife has the 2006 XTC is XS, which I think is the same size - and it's just slightly too large for her at 5' 1". I'd think you'd need a 15" or even 16" frame, to be honest.

I'm 5' 9" and it feels just like a BMX when I ride it - plus the wheelbase is so short that the back of the front wheel will constantly be hitting the front of your foot if you're not careful.

I know those prices at Paul's Cycles (I'm guessing) are tempting, but you might be worth spending the extra to get the small (15.5") in this model...

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s2p1263

Which is newer and has a similar spec and better paint job anyway.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Chaka Ping wrote:
    My wife has the 2006 XTC is XS, which I think is the same size - and it's just slightly too large for her at 5' 1".

But 2thumbs is 5' 6" !! So if a 14" frame is too big for your missus at 5' 1" and too small for you at 5' 9" it should be bang on...! :roll:

As I said before, the only way to be absolutely sure is to go and try one for size.

2thumbs, in all honesty if this is your first MTB (and notwithstanding your BMX background), DON't be tempted to buy mail order. If it doesn't fit you'd have to send it back and it's a complete ball-ache if you have any warranty issues.

Far better to shop around your local dealers, try some bikes for size and ride them a bit if you can. Get the dealer to help you set it up for your riding position and preferences and then at least you stand a fighting chance!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

That size frame is only slightly too large for my 5'1" wife, so I strongly feel it would be too big for 2thumbs.

But Dave, I second your suggestion that he at least goes to a bike shop and tries a few frames on for size before splashing the cash.
  • 2Thumbs
    2Thumbs Posts: 15
    Thanks for the replies.

I have tryed a few bikes in my LBS'. None of which were Giants. They were 17" and 18" though and they didn't have any smaller without ordering them in. (they were too big)

I agree that I need to try a bike with a 14" frame first, but I'm not able to find one anywhere yet.

Thanks again. :)
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    2Thumbs wrote:
    I agree that I need to try a bike with a 14" frame first, but I'm not able to find one anywhere yet.

Although it might give a rough indication, trying a bike with a 14 inch frame will not necessarily help you. It is the top tube length which usually matters more, so you might find a 14 inch Trek frame fine, but when you get the Giant it could well not suit you at all.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs