Rockhopper Disc 2007 vs 2008

rob13
rob13 Posts: 430
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
My LBS has the 2007 Rockhopper Disc on offer for £499 while the 08 model is retailing at £599. On the spec sheet there seems to be very little in it. Can those in the know tell me whether its actually worth going for the newer bike?

Comments

• BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Save your self £100,the changes are so small you would not notice,put the money saved in to a nice set of pedals and shoes.
  • rob13
    what are the differences? Are the tora forks the same as last years? What about the componentry?
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Tora forks are the same just small cosmetic changes,I had a set of tora 318 Airs on my last bike and they tracked very well.And as far as the groupset, its mostly the same,Just because something is 2008 and not 2007 dosent means its better.

Save the Money.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    It's always worth looking at the specs but as stated above, there seems little to choose. However, the Commencal Combi frame, for example, is quite different this year to last so your mileage will vary depending on which bike you're looking at.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Ask them for an extra £50 off too, £100 is a bit stingy.
  • rob13
    when you talk about the Commencal Combi frame, do you mean that I'll probably get more mileage from that over the Rockhopper frame?
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    Seems Specialized have downgraded the spec of many 2008 bikes but kept the prices the same.
    The Globe IG8 we got is very downgraded this year - loses carbon forks, brakes are worse, etc and it's the same money!
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    no... just a turn of phrase. As in, your experience of year to year upgrades will change depending on the year and the manufacturer. Spec seem to have done little with the Rockhopper this year but Commencal have made much bigger changes with their range at the same price so the 2007->2008 move is far more noticable with the Combi.