NZ - South Island Day Rides

wakemalcolm
wakemalcolm Posts: 628
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Am lucky enough to be spending some time in NZ soon and am considering renting a couple of bikes so me and Mrs Wakemalcolm can do some cycling in amongst the other stuff.

We're mostly roadies but aren't totally averse to a bit of rough stuff (no technical single track though). Can anyone recommend any great day rides (<=100Km) in the south island?

Thanks
================================
Cake is just weakness entering the body

Comments

• Cheers Jon

Whiling away a couple of hours in the company of a Steephill travelogue is a fine way to spend a winter's day.

Thanks!
  • I assume you will be based in Christchurch. I am not a local of the area, but who ever you hire the bikes off should be able to give you some good advice on local rides, both road and MTB. You could post onto the Vorb road forum, which is very active. I am sure you will get lots of help there.
    Have a great time.
    Cheers Brian
  • steephill
    steephill Posts: 151
    Brian NZ wrote:
    I assume you will be based in Christchurch. I am not a local of the area, but who ever you hire the bikes off should be able to give you some good advice on local rides, both road and MTB. You could post onto the Vorb road forum, which is very active. I am sure you will get lots of help there.
    Have a great time.
    Cheers Brian

wakemalcolm, if you had a look at my site and you will be visiting Christchurch as Brian asks then did you checkout the Christchurch to Bank Peninsula ride report I posted last January?

http://www.steephill.tv/2007/akaroa/

I'm not sure if you are looking for flat or mountainous riding but I never seen such a flat location (Chirstchurch) right next to such a hilly/mountainous area (Bank Peninsula).
    www.steephill.tv bike travelogue
  • Steep

Had an extensive look at your site last night, thanks, and now we're extending our stay in Queenstown to take in more hilly road rides. Particularly like the look of the Cardrona road up towards Wanaka.

Did you spend any time up at Abel Tasman?
  • steephill
    steephill Posts: 151
    Steep

Had an extensive look at your site last night, thanks, and now we're extending our stay in Queenstown to take in more hilly road rides. Particularly like the look of the Cardrona road up towards Wanaka.

Did you spend any time up at Abel Tasman?

No, our stay was short and we didn't head north of Christchurch.
    www.steephill.tv bike travelogue