eye wear glasses best for this time of year

supersaints
supersaints Posts: 23
edited January 2008 in Workshop
can anyone tell me the best glasses to get for riding in this time of year 8)

Comments

• Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    I got some prescription Rudy Project Rydons for summer and have carried on using them with clear lenses in winter. They're great for this time of year and I wish I'd bought some years ago! No more sore eyes in cold headwinds or on long descents compared with my normal glasses.

Any decent pair of shades with a clear lens will be better than none or than prescription glasses.

If you need prescription shades, I used Go Sports Spex and can highly recommend them:

http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited December 2007
    I have a set of DHB Triple Lens glasses - £24.99 from Wiggle, however I got mine free for recommending a friend. Cycling Weekly rated them at 9/10. They have clear, dark, and a light blue tint, the latter is good for low light conditions, clear for at night (I think eye protection is essential, given the number of strikes by flying insects, and rain in the eyes). They fit well, are light and robust. There are several other triple lens shades available, some more cheaply (eg Madison) but I find the fit and quality of these to be the best (and that includes two sets of £85 Smiths I had that fell apart). I break shades often, but these have lasted over year with daily use.

I did try some DHB Quattro Elite also from Wiggle, and currently just £9.99, unsurprisingly they have four different lens sets - seemed good, but I found them to be too tight for my fat head so I sent them back - if you have a small head they might work and are a bargain, though apart from 4 lens choices, I think the design is slightly inferior to the Triples.

I use some Oakley Monster Dog's in the height of summer when I don't need interchangeable lenses, they look a bit cooler IMHO 8)
  • stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    any tips on lense steaming up...when i stop my lense mist up straight away!!!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Just something with clear lenses for good viewing, if you have a problem with the lens steaming up then look for something with vents.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Lenses steaming up - ride slower :? , wear them slightly away from the face, maybe try a tiny amount of washing-up liquid smeared on the inside then wiped with a tissue to leave a miniscule film, or perhaps the best idea, get some anti-fog liquid sold for swimming goggles or Motorcycle helmet visors.

With the DHB's I only really get fogging when I come to a halt, so I just pull them away slightly if it is more than a short stop.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I use some yellow Adidas Shields (the small version: 262). Very light and comfy.

examples and lense colours here:

http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/AdidasSpo ... Shield.asp

although you can pick them up cheaper than this
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    For this winter though I bought the DHB triples and have been using the clear lenses as I hav'nt seen the sun for about 2mths. I think they are great for the price and although not as comfortable as my 'good' summer glasses they are pretty good.

I have a got several DHB items for winter use and really cannot fault any of the products so far.
    Brian B.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    The other way to do it is have a pair of glasses that can be used on all occasions. These are adaptalight lenses so are dark when sunny and almost clear when overcast.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... 060a569778
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Ones that adapt never seem to get dark enough or light enough, cheap clear or yellow lensed safety glasses are the way to go this time of year, look up bolle safety glasses on fleabay. That said I'm using some glasses from probikekit at the mo, 5 lenses for 18 quid, can't go wrong really. http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=G1011
  • The spesh adaptalites dont go dark enough in bright summer sunshine, but theyre perfect for riding this time of year as they are only just slightly orangy tint at their lightest which seems to work well in dull conditions and they darken up if the sun comes out. I've worn mine in all conditions and at all times of day ( and night) and I wouldnt swap them for any other sunnies at this time of year. Mid summer I'll go back to my Oakley M frames with iridium lens for the really bright days.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I picked up a pair of Oakley Radars with Hi-Persimmon lenses in the States recently (ah the exchange rate.... :D )

They've been great on dull dark days and really brighten up the shadows.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    My wife's Madisons steam up a bit too much - I put this down to the way they are very close to my cheeks/face.
    I use a pair of clay shooting glasses with changeable lenses - Cheap and don't steam up because they're slightly shallower and sit off my nose rather than on my cheeks.

Try smearing an apple on the inside of the lenses! I'm not kidding!
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I bought a pair of bolle safety glasses from ebay, well, 2 pairs in fact, sunglasses and yellow lens.

About £6 a pair, pollycarb lens, designed to be, well, safe. Work fine, but do steam up, then that doesn't seem to be different on expensives ones.
  • Raph
    Raph Posts: 249
    Oakley flak jackets... or something jackets or other... anyway, they're yellow, Ali G style. They really do make a sh1t day seem slightly less dismal. And the "light enhancing" thing is bolux obviously but somehow the increased contrast and psychology of making it seem "sunnier" are strangley effective. I find clear lenses do seem to get in the way optically, somehow with these yellow things I forget I'm wearing them and forget what a drab day it is. At dusk I take them off cos when there's no light to "enhance" they just start looking yellow. Anyway, it's plus point for them that I can't remember what model they are cos they've lasted a long time.

Not that I'm an overall Oakley fan - I've had two other pairs break with no provocation other than putting them on. The lenses are always fine. M frames with gold iridium lens are great... or something iridium - it's also yellow. Seriously, I think when you forget what something's called I reckon it's a recommendation cos it proves it's done its job and been no hassle! Only downside with Oakleys is the price.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah I just bung my Oakley M frames on with the yellow lens - makes it seem a but brighter and that seems to cheer me up anyway.

Then the sun will come out and I'll have to squint a bit, but I can live with that.