Scott Scale 50

Babbs
Babbs Posts: 81
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
Been doing a bit of research into my possible first purchase. The above was recommended to me from my local dealer as a good platform to build from. Any opinions on this or any other bikes would be greatly appreicated. I am looking for a hard tail which offers a good base to build from in the future as my riding progresses.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The Scale is very XC orientated, great if you ride pure XC stuff.

There are a hell of a lot of decent £700 bikes with frames well worthy of upgrading that will hone your riding skills.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • My Scott Scale 50 is brilliant. Its a few years old but is still going fine. I have Manitou forks which are ok but not amazing. I have heard some people don't rate the new Rock Shox Tora forks either. I race once a month and it's never let me down. When i purchase a bike i get the one which feels the quickest to accelerate and is on sale from all the local bike shops in my area.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Babbs wrote:
    Been doing a bit of research into my possible first purchase. The above was recommended to me from my local dealer as a good platform to build from. Any opinions on this or any other bikes would be greatly appreicated. I am looking for a hard tail which offers a good base to build from in the future as my riding progresses.

Look at what you want to get out of your riding, or what you want to use your new bike for. As has already been mentioned, the scale is a very race/XC oriented machine. If you are looking for a machine for all-day trail riding, or hitting the bike parks, the Scale may be a bit too focused or light-weight.

Also, don't always accept what the dealer says at face value. Bear in mind that the salesman is trying to make a living and hit his targets. Yes, the Scale is a good base on which to build, but to what end?

At this time of year salesmen will also be trying every trick in the book to shift their 2007 stock so make sure that what you are buying is what they actually say it is, and don't let yourself get railroaded into buying something that may be unsuitable for your needs.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Babbs
    Babbs Posts: 81
    I doubt if i will be racing it in the near future, but who know's. I will mostly be riding at my own pace on mostly X-C routes. I am fully aware what sales people are trying to do which is why i am on here sapping every one elses knowledge prior to buying. I dont want to be making a costly mistake!!
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Toras are a bit confusing, they range from £100 to £200, the basic 302 coil is ok but as you move up the range they become very good forks. I've just upgraded to a 318 tora coil with motion control damping, lockout and u-turn travel adjust - they're up the top of the tora range and while not the lightest, for a fit-and-forget budget fork, performance is very good.
  • Scott Scale 50 is a good quality bike, it won't be a mistake. At this price you won't do much better. You are entering the first level of a serious mountain bike. Scan around the shops first for last years bikes on sale.