CC in Harlow? Epping? Bishops Stortford? Essex?

songwriter
songwriter Posts: 109
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Anyone in the know?
The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    There is the Harlow one songwriter, though this seems to be a veterans club but I could be wrong, and in fact there are a few around the area. Redbridge ride regularly through the area and towards Blackmore and Chelmsford (might be out of your way mind) there are the Chelmer and Shakespeare (I think i've got that right) clubs.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    There is the Harlow one songwriter, though this seems to be a veterans club but I could be wrong, and in fact there are a few around the area. Redbridge ride regularly through the area and towards Blackmore and Chelmsford (might be out of your way mind) there are the Chelmer and Shakespeare (I think i've got that right) clubs.
    I think you mean Shaftsbury, mancp :)
  • giant_man
    Thats the one! thanks joe
  • Shame says I, twas drawn to the bicycle bard
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Glade CC start from Ongar 3 times a week
    Still breathing.....
  • hambones wrote:
    Glade CC start from Ongar 3 times a week

Woah! I'm totally intimidated by the standard of the Glade CC.They look really good but I'm not fit enough to pump their tyres up.

I'm just gonna have to get fitter arn't I? I'll give you a bell in a year Glade CC
  • giant_man
    Don't be intimidated songwriter, its only a cycling club mate. There's a ride from Ongar tomorrow - and another one on 5th Jan, this one is a training ride, you could go along and meet them and see how you get on. Trevor Maddern is a great bloke who I'm sure will make you feel welcome.

If you don't go you won't know will you?
  • Don't be intimidated songwriter, its only a cycling club mate. There's a ride from Ongar tomorrow - and another one on 5th Jan, this one is a training ride, you could go along and meet them and see how you get on. Trevor Maddern is a great bloke who I'm sure will make you feel welcome.

If you don't go you won't know will you?

Thanks, I might just drop by and say hello, then watch them steam off into the distance :D
  • hambones
    Giant Mancp do you know if the Glade ride on a Wednesday a social ride or a fast-paced training ride?
    Still breathing.....
  • giant_man
    sorry hambones I wouldn't know, I haven't been out with them but i would have thought it would be a faster pace than their 'training rides'.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...songwriter, the Chelmer are worth considering. They have a "gateaux ride" on a Saturday afternoon http://www.chelmercc.org.uk/ which is a family ride and I promise you they won't drop you...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    My first club, the Easterly RC are worth a look. They were always a friendly and welcoming bunch with the advantage of a country headquarters at Ugley, just north of Stanstead.

Check out their website -

http://www.easterleycycling.org.uk/
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Bishops Stortford CC. Sunday at 9am in the market square Stortford, ride out to a cafe for beans on toast then ride back. Pub at Hatfield Heath afterwards or straight home.

The riders are mainly over 40 and mostly ex racers. We do have a few younger members though. Pace will be around 17 to 18 average speed for the run.

I'd suggest trying all the clubs you find before settling on which one to join. The most local might not be the most suitable. I don't think Herts Wheelers have had a mention, they seem to be fairly active in the area as well.

I used be a member of Glade when they met in Chingford. I think the current Glade took the name as an "off the shelf" club after the old one folded.
  • hambones
    If you want a large well-organised active club then there's North Road CC based in Hertford.

I've thought about Glade in the past, I liked the idea they are an Epping-based club according to their website - except they only meet at Ongar! :)
    Still breathing.....
  • I 'd second the Bishops Stortford CC

great bunch of guys - good varied routes with average being 60 - 70 miles, but some longer in summer

also got a good bunch getting invloved in doing a few sportives together as a team

look at the BSCC web site for details on upcoming sunday rides - and give them a call

regards - UZ :D