Progress

Old Holdie
Old Holdie Posts: 17
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Borrowed an up to date suspension bike (Gary Fisher HiFi) a couple of weeks ago from the LBS.
Can't believe the quantum leap in handling, traction, grip, braking, bloody everything! I just rode staight over stuff that stopped me dead on my own bike. Is it down to the suspension? Tyres? Geometry?
The Fisher had hydraulic discs which were a revelation after V brakes so I can see where the gain is there, but everything else? Have hardtails improved by the same degree?
Still love my bike but is it really so outdated now?

Comments

• dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    probably. mtb tech moves at a fair pace. give most items 3 years tops and they have been superceded. not saying older bikes are rubbish but most componants get, lighter, stronger, more powerful or more efficient year on year.
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    Hardtails have also come along a lot! Personally I wouldn't trade my hardtail for a full suspension unless I had a bad back or something!
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    what is your old bike?
  • It's a Zaskar, bought the frame new in 1996 and hung the bits on. Upgraded every now and then when stuff wore out.

Question is, is it worth it keeping on upgrading, or would I be better off changing it for a new bike. The stuff that's on it now functions well enough, but obviously things have moved on. It's about 24 lbs all up, not sure if there's the clearance for anything bigger than the 1.95" Contis that are on it now, no caliper mount on the frame (although there is one on the fork). Still enjoy riding it as well.
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    still a good frame, does it take disks.
  • Only if you can weld
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I know exactly what you mean, I went from my 1997 Team Marin (with V brakes and a flexy Rock Shox SID) to a Giant Anthem last year - and was amazed at the performance difference.

When I had a brief spin on my Marin again at Swinley a few months ago it was actually dangerous becuase I'm now riding so much faster and the bike wasn't up to it - so I've now sold it.

I've also since built up a new steel hardtail (Cove Handjob) and although that does perform far better than the Marin - it hasn't quite got the awesome speed that the Anthem has.

I'd certainly recommend buying a new FS bike - you'll go riding more because you'll enjoy it so much more and because you'll probably be getting fitter too (I did).
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    It moves very fast, last time I went in Leisure Lakes I realised how out of date my bikes are but to be honest I don't care as long as they ride well.

Frame design has come on leaps and bounds for both FS bikes and hardtails but if you've got a decent frame there's no reason to get rid unless it doesn't suit the type of riding you do.
    Dave S
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I've been in a similar boat - for me the huge progress has been the quality and performance increase in suspension forks (and rear shocks) but also doing so with much higher travel - of course the key to this has been the change in frame geometry to cope with said forks.