New Year, New Bike Goodness, whatcha getting?

zero303
zero303 Posts: 1,162
edited January 2008 in MTB general
There's plenty of "what bike, x budget" threads about, but what about all the knowledgeable folk who have made their own mind up and are getting new bikes in the new year?

In feb I'm going to placing an order in for an Orange 5 S with an upgrade to the Fox Float R fork over the recon. I'm also introducing the wife to the joys of mountain biking and she'll be getting a Specialized Myka FSR Expert.

What new chariot of joy will you be going to get in 2008?

Comments

• Merlin Malt 1.....hopefully by the end of next week :D:D:D:D:D
  • Mythic Wildcard Slopestyle frame (frame should be here wednesday)

All of this has been ordered:
    Totem forks
    FSA 1.5" pig DH Pro headset
    e13 DRS chain device
    SDG Bel Air Saddle
    X0 rear mech and shifters
    SRAM x9 front mech
    Thomson X4 1.5" stem
    Easton Ea70 nid rise bars
    Maxxis high roller UST 2.5
    Mavic Deemax wheelset (xmas prezzie)
    ODI lock-ons

It should look something like this (thanks to Rob Cole's photo - cheers bud)

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1575122/

Can't wait - build to comlpeted end of month when I can order brakes (08 Juicy 7s)

Bring it on! :D
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Ooooh, that Mythic is quite purdy!!!
  • I'm waiting for my 2008 Orange Crush frame, list goes,

21" Crush frame,
    Pike 454 Air U-Turn forks,
    Full 2007 XT Groupset (brakes, wheels, hubs,gears etc...)
    Ritchey Pro WCS Finishing kit, carbon fibre seatpost and bars, 4 axis stem,
    Some sort of Fizik saddle (I'm after one with Orange scuff guards)
    Crank bros or DMR pedals,
    Chris king headset, in orange of course!

and I think I'm going to invest in some "Orange" branded decals, as the word "Orange" appears on the downtube on the bike but white with a thin black edge to it. If I can get some decals that are exactly the same size it could look quite good?
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    My first upgrade of the year is to get my wheels rebuilt with CX Ray spokes.

I'm running DT rims and Aireal hubs and they're already the fastest set of wheels I've ever used!

After that I'm going to change my pedals for Egg Beater 4ti because my work just got an account with CB and I'm going to use a short axle upgrade on the left pedal (long story).

Then I'm going to get a 58g Crank Brothers Cobalt Ti headset... possibly with ceramic bearings if I can find some to fit.
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • whitetux
    whitetux Posts: 156
    finish building my hardtail, got all the bits just need to put it together, and getting 08 66's too.
    http://ChristoGallagher.co.uk
    Supported by: FliDistribution.co.uk Solidbikes.de Oneal 2pure.co.uk Helitape.co.uk Scott MacPherson Photography Crank Brothers Pedros Clif Bar Lizard Skins Gamut USA Mtb-Essentials.co.uk
  • Truvativ stem and bars
    One set of Mavic 721's built round XT hub wheels :P
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    Im bearing towards the Tomac Snyper 140 Two, although the longer i save my money the more bikes I see that I like!
  • jbford
    jbford Posts: 101
    Just Bought Myself a PACE RC405 so I'm chuffed. Am looking for a Full Sus bike for my Fiancee, we're looking at the Trek EX 8 WSD or the Oramge 5 Pro Diva.

She's got the Trek on test at the mo and it seems to be a blast although I'm not too impressed with the Bontrager wheels. We're hopefully going to pick up the Orange test bike on Weds, Looks like a better package plus it's a Brit! :P
  • A Nice Hope M4 Front Disc Brake And Shimano DX Pedals :D
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    What's wrong with the Bontrager wheels?
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • orangechimp
    orangechimp Posts: 1,335
    Already gone and done it, bought a Cotic Hemlock just before xmas.

Pace RC41 xcam fork
    hope pro 2 hubs with mavic xc717's
    M4 front brake 205 dia disc
    mono rear brake

see it in my pics below, it's cool as fcuk.

test rode that and a Pace RC405 together decided the Cotic was slightly better. both seriously cool bikes though.
    my bikes and stuff http://orangechimp.fotopic.net/

it\'s only unethical if you get caught.....
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    some new tyres.... the old maxxis high rollers are slightly bald.
    i ride a hardtail
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    new pads, too poor for anything else :(
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    I agree with Hamboman, I'll be getting some new sintered pads for my old pre-Mono Hope Minis.

Mine are very old now and have also started to squeal like a pig cornered in a bacon shop
    Dave S
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ive got a set of x.o grip shifts on the way already but once my bikes sell, im planning to get some new mavic crossmax sl wheels and an xtr crankset for the willow.
  • ianpinder
    ianpinder Posts: 266
    well i have 4 grand to spend on a new long travel bike, just have not decided what frame
    Cycling the Tour D'Afrique in 2012

www.tda2012.com
  • Reba SL's in post. Now can't decide between upgrading Truvativ Blaze chainset to XT and crossrides or waiting until end of Jan and getting some tasty handbuilt wheels. Decisions, decisions.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • Went to bike shop today just to get forks fitted and headset serviced - walked out with wheels :lol: Hope XC hubs and Mavic XM 321 rims for £120 - super, smashing, lovely, great.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but I was (am) selling a set of Mavic XM317s on Hope XC's for £60 mint condition :cry:

and with DT Revolution spokes.... :cry::cry:
  • Well that's my bubble burst :lol: Ah well ,its always the way. You sold that IFT frame yet?
  • DAM
    DAM Posts: 13
    No new bike for me. Old bike now almost perfect!!

Rocky Mountain ETSX 70 with XTR drivetrain and 2006 XTR wheels. Some Easton and race face.

This year I will be mostly getting UST tyres to shave some more weight and I might upgrade my brakes to avid juicy ultimates.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I'm 96.4% certain I'll be buying a Cove Shocker in March.

888 RC-3 WC's
    Avid Code
    729's on Pro II

etc etc.

My LBS has told me to go away and find the cheapest price on-line for all the bits and they'll price match and build it for free (if you know what I mean). Still £300 over my own mental limit and I should really sell my Norco A-line first.
  • Just taken delivery of a new Meta 5.1. I really am liking it quite a lot.