New Wheels for XC use

Mr_Orange
Mr_Orange Posts: 198
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy some new lightweight wheels for XC use. I'm not a heavy or violent rider, and so am considering the following parts:

Hubs: XTR 975 or DT 240s
Rims: Mavic XC717 or DT XR4.2D
Spokes: DT Comp D/B or Revolution D/B

Weight-wise there is little to nothing between the XTR and the DT hubs (DT slightly lighter), and likewise for the rims, however the DT kit is quite a bit more expensive.

So the question is, are there other advantages to DT over Shimano/Mavic? Are they that much better/stronger/???? to justify the price? Which combination would you recommend?

Would appreciate your advice.

Comments

• I use XTR M975 hubs on DT 4.2d with black revolution spokes

Excellent lightweight wheelset.

Hard to justify the extra cost of the DT hubs!
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Is there any reason you're not considering ProII hubs (like needing a centrelock disc mount)? They are light and very serviceable and whilst I wouldn't say they were better than either of the XTR or 240s, they are certainly worth considering.

I built ProIIs into XC717s with Sapim CX-Ray bladed spokes for a wheelset that was lighter, stronger and more servicable than Crossmax SLs whilst being £200 cheaper.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Splasher wrote:
    Is there any reason you're not considering ProII hubs (like needing a centrelock disc mount)?

You got it, centre lock rotors.

Basically I'm retiring my existing wheelset to road use (commuting) and am splashing out on a new wheelset, They need to be fully interchangeable.
  • Splasher
    So you could use ProIIs provided you bought some 6 bolt rotors to go with them?
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Fair point. I don't actually know of Proll, and google, for once, hasn't turned much up. Have you more info on them? Web site, where to buy etc etc.

Cheers.
  • Splasher
    Front review http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Hub/product_127543.shtml
    Rear review http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Hub/product_127544.shtml
    Front price http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7564
    Rear price http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7566

Two things you need to know about the rear:

1. Like all hope hubs, the freewheel makes a loud tick which dies down slightly with age.
    2. The cassette carrier is aluminium and needs to be used with good cassettes (XT, XTR, X9, X0).

But then both your other hub choices have equivalent foibles.
  • Doh!!!! - too much Christmas booze has addled my brain....

I read Pro II as Proll - no wonder google didn't help. Yep, am of course well aware of Hope.
  • Splasher
    You can see a piccie of my wheels on the XC>120 link below.
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    What about the Hope Pro 3 wheels with straight pull spokes, DTXR 4.2 rim, am just in the process of buying a set myself, came out very well in MBR's test of lightweight wheelsets, total weight for both wheels about 1500grammes

set here, cheapest I've seen so far

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/i ... _3spp.html
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Splasher
    The only thing I would say against ProIIIs is you can't get a replacement spoke at any old bike shop (being straight pull). My Pro II wheels are the same weight but use conventional elbow spokes. Admittedly, if I break one I won't be able to get a bladed one at any old bike shop, but I could run it with a round spoke until I could source a new CX_Ray.
  • glen4
    Splasher wrote:
    The only thing I would say against ProIIIs is you can't get a replacement spoke at any old bike shop (being straight pull). My Pro II wheels are the same weight but use conventional elbow spokes. Admittedly, if I break one I won't be able to get a bladed one at any old bike shop, but I could run it with a round spoke until I could source a new CX_Ray.

The pro3's are 200grammes lighter than the equivalent pro2's and they come with four spare spokes when you buy them new.
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Splasher
    glen4 wrote:
    The pro3's are 200grammes lighter than the equivalent pro2's and they come with four spare spokes when you buy them new.

I'm not sure where you've got your weights from given that Pro2s are only 295g rear and 180g front.

Pro3 wheels are 756g front and 889g rear, my Pro2 wheels are 779g front and 880g rear so only 14g heavier a pair but I don't need to carry 4 spare spokes around in case I break one!

If Mr Orange wants ProIII wheels, I'm quite happy, I just want to make sure all the options are aired. The magazines more and more seem to only review pre-built package wheels rather than individually specced and built.
  • Mr_Orange
    Thanks for banter on the Hope hubs folks, all very interesting.

I think I'm leaning towards the XTR/XR4.2D combo, and maybe the Revolution spokes.

The weight of these would appear to be only a tad heavier than a DT Swiss 1540 wheelset or the XTR wheelset, but for considerably less money.

Whilst I mention it, what do people think of Shimano wheelsets? How come they get away with so many less spokes (24) compared with more conventional wheel builds of 32?
  • glen4
    Mr_Orange wrote:
    Thanks for banter on the Hope hubs folks, all very interesting./quote]

:lol: got well and truly told didn't I :lol:
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Mr_Orange
    glen4 wrote:
    :lol: got well and truly told didn't I :lol:

Not quite sure what you mean, but I wasn't being sarcastic.
  • Splasher
    I think he meant my reply to him - don't think it was aimed at you.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Hi gentlemen.

I use a 240s, 4.1d and aerolite wheelset on my hardtail and had the XTR,717 with revolution spokes wheelset on my anthem till i sold it.

For a lot less money the weight of the XTR set was very little more (actual weights tomorrow)

I'm also going to get a set of XTR hubs on 4.2 with revolution spokes for my new anthem carbon frame.

For the price you would be silly not to. The centrelock method is a far better idea in my opinion as it is lighter and gives a stiffer set up with less chance or warping the disc. There is also no chance of bolts rusting or rounding off!
  • Mr_Orange
    @andrew156.

Did you manage to dig out the comparative weights of your wheels? For interest really, since I have now ordered the XTR hubs with XR4.2 rims and Comp spokes.