Got chilblanes on me toes, need sock/overshoe advice.

andyturner28
andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
I have chilblanes on my toes from wearing my Lake MX 101 shoes when it was realy cold several times, with no thermal socks or overshoes. I now have neoprene overshoes and Bridgdale thermal socks, but even with another 2 pairs of socks on and my heated custom footbeads out my ski boots, i still get cold toes! I think this is because the wind is still getting in somehow, perhaps the overshoe is not sealing enough around the toe area. Can anyone recomend any socks that are realy warm and guarenteed 100% windproof? I have read some reviews of the Sealscins socks but a lot of people say they are not very warm, but if they are windproof would they be OK combined with the thermal liners? Any other socks i should be looking at?

Cheers,

Andy.

Comments

• sounds like youve got a real proplem. i would think about changing my boots and seeing a doctor[[/b]
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Could it be that you are cutting the circulation to your toes? Do your feet feel cramped?
  • First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR! Bit pissed so excuse crappy punmctuation.

I don't know realy, They don't feel painfully cold like before i got the overshoes and thurmal socks, but they feel numb, and when i take my shoes off, above shoe level my socks are realy sweaty, but the reast of my feet are dry, and my toes feel cold when i take my 3 pairs of socks off! This is a bit rediculouse, as when ski-ing in Canada when it is -30degrees c, i wear a neoprene face mask and i am sweating lilke a pig after every run! I would realy like to avoid buying another pair of shoes as i am desperately trying to save up for this years ski-ing trip. I might try a pair of Sealskins, and if that dosn't help it will have to be another pair of SPD's. It wasn't even that cold tonight, 8deg c, and i don't think it is a circulation problem as i have been using my custom footbeds from my ski boots for a couple of weeks, and even though i am wearing 3 pairs of socks my feet don't feel cramped. My feet are a bit of an auquard size, in between 9 1/2 and 10, which means my shoes are always slightely too big and i need thick inersoles.

Hope that all makes sence,

Andy.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Sealskinz do a thermal sock for £2 more than the standard (£24 vs £22 IIRC)
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    Sweet. I missed that one when looking on CR last night, will have another look. I assume they are windproof?

Andy.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    the lack of sweat beneath the ankle and the numbness would suggest lack of circulation to me. Maybe try wearing your normal footwear combo round the house for an hour or so to see if you still get numb toes. Atleast then you'll be sure wether it's a circulation problem or not.

Maybe try 1 pair sealskins and neoprene outer to let the blood flow freely, cos 3 pairs socks + overshoe should equal red-hot toes, no matter what the English weather throws at us :?
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Sweet. I missed that one when looking on CR last night, will have another look. I assume they are windproof?

Andy.

Windproof and waterproof although like all socks they have a big hole in the top where the water can get in.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."