Bike Weight and Hills

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited December 2007 in MTB general
How much difference does the weight of a bike make to climbing hills?
I ask because the pants bike i have now weighs 42lbs and it seems to knacker me out doing the smallest of hills and i'm sure it shouldn't make me.
Or am i just feeble lol
Caz x

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    42lbs is a lot to haul up a hill, however fit you are.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • make sure your tyres arent too soft, as that will give you a lot more rolling resistance, and that does make a difference, especially on a heavy bike
    only when you stare death in the face do you feel most alive
  • holy... 42lbs? thats a fair bit to be honest for xc stuff. the best you can do really is make sure the tyres are fairly hard as said above and maybe also get the rims/tyres fairly light as they will reduce the rotational weight. for normal xc i wouldn't want to go above 35lbs.
    frame and forks would be next for me after the wheels
  • So its not all me then :lol: .
    I'll try pumping the tyres up a bit more next time i go out as i haven't had them maybe as pumped up as they could be.
    The bike is a fair old lump but i don't think i could cut weight by changing forks as they are a threaded set and finding decent threaded forks are like finding rocking horse poo :D
  • Andy B
    The cheapest way to lose a bit of weight is with tyres, a decent pair such as Panaracer Fire XC (folding bead) will cost £40ish.

A better & lighter wheelset will cost about £100 (Deore hubs & Mavic rims)

I'd not worry too much about the forks, the money might be better put towards a new bike!

The upgrades I have mentioned could easily be transferred onto a new bike, unlike a set of (threaded) forks.

Both my XC/trail bikes weigh ~29lb & the cheaper of the 2 cost £700. A good XC weight bike (~30lbs) can be bought for around £500 (less in the sales!)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Tell us what it feels like when you get your Malt 1, you really should notice the difference. Plus hills always hurt (me anyway) it's just a dgree of how much hurt depending on how fit I am at the time.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Going from a 40lbs Kona to a 30lbs Santa Cruz hills no longer bother me :D
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    Weight is definately a killer on the hills... but so is things like geometry.
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • Going out tomoz on the old bike, hopefully for the last blast before i get the new bike, it will be interesting to see the difference between the bikes.#
    I'll take the old bike out again once i get fitter on the new one to see if i can feel the difference. It'll be quite a difference i expect :D
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    What Santa Cruz are you getting?
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • Not getting a Santa Cruz, getting a Merlin Malt 1, got a good deal on one with them being local i thought i'd give them a try coz if Lancashire lads can't make a hill climbing bike, no one can :lol:
  • Andy B
    Merlin do some cracking bikes, the Malt 1 is a great bit of kit.

Top wheelbuilders too!