grip shifters

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
does anyone remember grip shifts, more importantly, does anyone use them still? i really want a set but wanted to find out first if there was any reason why i shouldnt.

SRAMX03.png

Comments

• clas
    clas Posts: 187
    horses for courses
    cant stand the things myself as when wet and muddy a superman type grip is needed
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • I used to have them on an older rig and they performed excellent although as before you need a good grip but with good grippy gloves on they are ace.

It really is personal preference but if you do go with some get the best (as in your piccies)

Wouldnt have a clue how to set them up though! :oops:

:D
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    I think they index similarly to a trigger system so it shouldnt be too hard. I set up the gears on my youngests bike and it seemed to work OK.
    As I said if you like em good on you. must have desperate dan hands though! :D
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I ran a set of x-7 8 speed grip shift on my last rig,faster than trigger shifters you can just grab a handfull of twist and shift up to the lowest gear in one movement,and gone are the ghost shifts of old when jumping etc,oh and they are lighter and cheaper,you can get a full set of x.o grip shift on CRC for less than x-7 triggers. :D
  • I moved away from triggers as when I was climbing i would sometimes accidentally change gear which would completely put me off them.

As Boydie says though, they are lighter and cheaper than most other trigger shifters. Make sure your rear mech is SRAM though!!
  • Anonymous
    cheers for the advice guys. i think i will get some as they are only 40 quid from crc which seems a bargain and i am a bit too ham fisted for the trigger shfters which require quite a gentle touch in my opinion. also, due to the orange button on my wilow, space is a bit cramped to get everything in just the right place on my bars so this might be the option, even if i find i dont like 'em, its only 40 quid and you never know, they might just be the ticket
  • Anonymous
    well, i gone and done it:

pbpic1682194.jpg

pbpic1682193.jpg

pbpic1682195.jpg

so far they are ace, dead simple to fit and they make mycockpit (fnaar fnaaar) much better, i can get access to the big orange button without having to move my hands now (something i couldnt do no matter how i jigged things before with triggers) and the brake can be positioned far enough down the bars to enable good one finger braking.
  • Lopks like a good set-up. I've still got gripshifts, dating back to about '99. Got them with the bike and wasn't too sure to start with, but really happy with them now. There's less clutter on the bars, you can flick through several gears at a time, and you can always have your hand wrapped round the bar for a secure hold, so you can change gear whatever you are riding over.

Alls seem good to me, I guess I'd replace with the same if the need arose, rather than going back to the conventional!
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Nice one sheepsteeth, was a little sceptical when you first posted but they look sweet.
  • the new sram ones get briliant reviews and have great shifting in all conditions.
    i personaly cant use them as i bunny-hop and jump alot. However a trials rider with gears i know had a grip shifter put right up against his stem as he didnt need to shift often but hated other shifters getting in the way when bouncing like a muppet on speed.
    stephen hall