Mini pumps v Co2 pumps

Jay B
Jay B Posts: 11
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
New to road cycling and would like a little advice. Had first puncture last week, when tried to inflate tyre with my Halfords mini pump found it to be as much use as a bloody stick. Had to walk 2 miles home! People recomended Co2 pumps as mini pumps useless. HELP! What do i buy? :([/b]

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I carry a mini pump to get the tyre round and make sure it isn't pinching the tube, but inflation is via Co2 as I share your views about mini pumps. Have a look at the online retailers and you will locate a few combined hand/Co2 pumps which give you the best of both worlds.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    get one that does both, i personally just have a mini pump and it is brilliant!

this one:
    http://www.bikeplanetuk.com/products/ac ... index.html

ive had to use it once and it got my tire up to a decent amount so i could continue my club run. Highly recommended

shop around and you can get it cheaper
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Forget co2 and mini pump and get a decent frame fitting pump.
  • Jay B
    Jay B Posts: 11
    So i need one that does both. Seen a product called 'Inflate'. So this sort of thing would do the job?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    my old zefal mini will get upto 90psi fairly easily, enough to get to wherever!
    most decent minipumps should.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I use one of these, best of both world in 1 package. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... oad%20Pump
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The Blackburn Airstick will inflate to 100psi fairly easily but a good frame pump does a better job. I use a frame pump in winter when you get most punctures and the Airstick in summer as it is easier to carry 2 bottles. CO2 can get a bit expensive and it only works once so you have to carry spare cartriges.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I suffered a p word this morning.

Some cha(r)v scum seem like they've got nothing better to do than smash the glass out of bus stops. No sooner has the glass been replaced before they're smashed again and litter the carriageway.

My Master Blaster Pocket Rocket only seems good for 75-90 PSI. The Tricomps seem way too soft/supple at those pressures so I gave dad a ring who came out with a spare wheel.

Certainly think I'll look into the CO2 option.

Since getting home I've fitted a new tube and had two goes with the mini-pump. To my dismay when fitting my track pump to get a gauge reading its only been around 80 PSI.

That's sitting comfortably with a pint of Timothy Taylor's. I don't think I could better that out on the roadside in the pouring rain. :(
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    I keep 3 cartridges in the seat bag, as well as carry my Zefal frame pump...For shaping the tube for installation, I just use my mouth to fill the tube, then once inserted in the tyre, I use the CO2. Never depend on the CO2 system alone...I've experienced duds, or miss-discharges (for the lack of a correct word) with cartridges and the reliable Zefal has saved me many long walks. I only have the mini-pump on my MTB.
    Cajun
  • nicksun
    nicksun Posts: 290
    This is a CO2 pump with the benefit of being a hand pump to get the tyre and tube seated properly before you inflate with the cylinder.

https://www.mikedyason.com/shop.asp?ses ... pany=PUMPS

It's the second one down the list for road bikes and the third for mtb.

I've been using my one for a few years and think it's a good piece of kit.

Hope this helps.

Nicksun.

Edit- Spelling!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The link you posted doesn't work, but if it's the same one I got from there just don't drop it. There is no guard to stop an accidental discharge and it don't half stain the carpet.