The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited December 2007 in MTB buying advice
can anyone recommend a good set?

Cheers

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I use Crank Brother Candys. Get some of them.
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Ive been using Time atac pedals for years,they have more float,better for your knees,and you can turn the Cleats around to give yo either 13 or 17 degree release.You can get a cheap set of chainreaction for £27.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=4733

I use the Atac carbons they are very good.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Cheesey wrote:
    can anyone recommend a good set?

Cheers

Cheesey, I don't want to confuse the issue but I'm a little puzzled by your reference to "multi-release".

Shimano make two different types of SPD cleats, single-release and multi-release (multi-release cleats have a large "M" stamped into them).

Single release cleats will ONLY release by twisitng your heel outwards (or inwards), whereas the mulit-release version will disengage if you give a good yank in virtually any direction (as I once found out to my cost in mid-air at Grizedale, but that's another story...)

Shimano recommend the multi-release version for beginners and recreational users.

Is this what you mean?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • YEs Dave thats exactly what I mean - even though I have been cycling for over 20 years I have only just converted to clipless (for my racebike) only

I have shimano spuds that are great but as you mention I want a set that I can get my foot out of pretty much in any direction!!

Have not had a ny comedy falls but nearly have! :lol:

What I didn't know and is very interesting is that it's 'the cleat' thats multi release :)

Thats what I need to buy then - rather than new spuds!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Kercchhinng!!! Result!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic