Damp garage

BarbsH
BarbsH Posts: 14
edited December 2007 in Workshop
Hi all,
My garage seems quite damp (humid air, not rain dripping in) in winter, and the humidity condenses on my bikes and causes surface corrosion of unpainted surfaces. It's worst when we get warmish damp weather after a cold spell. Any ideas on how to reduce or prevent this - better ventilation, dehumidifier or something?? It wasn't a problem in my previous house, which had an integral garage, which never got very cold or damp.
Cheers
Barbs

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    yes. keep your bikes inside the house - mine are in bedroom, great place.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    After a ride, ideally give your bike a clean and then spray on some WD40 or GT85 - the silicon spray displaces the water and forms a protective oily film. Periodically, when you give your bike a good clean, apply a wax car polish too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • yes. keep your bikes inside the house - mine are in bedroom, great place.

People have been arrested for that sort of thing...

Cheers, Andy

www.andyturnbull.co.uk
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    I have the same problem in my garage hence why my good bike lives in our kitchen.

Also our garage is full of motorbikes :D

The best way I would have thought is to keep the damp off it in the first place, so go and buy a cheap motorcycle cover thats breathable shouldnt cost to much and then cover it up with that.

Is your garage single skin brickwork with a single skin corrugated iron roof like mine is as thats whats causing the problem. You could look and fitting another layer inside the roof and insulating it that way or paint the roof with something to stop the water condensing on it. Trouble is with damp is that you are normally fighting a loosing battle.
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I have the same problem and keep a stock of cheap WD40 type stuff. I did keep my bikes in the kitchen before I got married; all good things come to an end.
  • Up until fairly recently, I kept a number of vintage motorcycles which had nickel plated parts which are very susceptible to damp.. I kept the condensation at bay with a dehumidifier (which you mention) and whicjh you can get reasonably cheaply now. Be warned thought hat they cost money to run. You will notice the difference in your electric bill.
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    YEah, our's is pretty damp* and I'm not looking forward to the day I get my next bike as it'll mean one of my current crop going into the garage (my old full-susser MTB went in there when I got the Hardrock and hasn't been heard from since).

Despite my pleas the powers that be had stated no more than two bikes in the house so either the Hardrock or the Allez is going to have to slum it in the garage.

* My dad still has ambitions of getting his 531 Flying Scot road worthy again but some twenty years in our cold damp garage will surely mean its bound for the tip?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    A de humidifier will stop it. It may take a day or two at first and you will empty it regular, but after that once a week should be ok.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Night sky radiation I'm afraid.

Simple principle is that the external air cools rapidly overnight causing the external surface to cool and increases the risk of condensation occuring internally.

Occurs during the colder months due to warm days, solar heating, and cold nights. Forms very nicely on uninsulated single skin metal roofs, single panes of glass , and such materials which prevent the vapour passing through to evaporate externally.

You need to control the atmosphere by either insulating* of providing increased ventilation to allow the internal atmosphere to mirror the tempature of the external envirnoment.

* be careful you don't cause the condensation to form within the construction if you overclad. This is known as interstitial condensation.
    Paul
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    I don't have this problem. My detatched garage is single brick with tiled roof. The "loft" is covered with old doors, the walls lined with cheap insulation board and the floor has chipboard covered in an old carpet. Look out for suitable thown out materials.
    Chris
  • I run a dehumidifier and an electric radiator through the winter, every night on economy seven, it does not run the electricity bill up then,