How do you know which SRAM cassette is on your bike?

aba2005
aba2005 Posts: 487
edited December 2007 in MTB beginners
Received my Avalanche Expert today :-). I just wondering how SRAM label their components. Shimano have the 'M' number on all their parts but I can't find this on SRAM parts. I can tell the SRAM cassette on the Expert is better than that on the 1.0 cos it is made of less metal, but thats the only way I can tell.

Thanks for your help.

Aba!
"You can plan for the life you're supposed to have, but when you try to make plans, God is known to laugh"
Talib Kweli - Broken Glass [The Beautiful Struggle]

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a look at the lock ring for a start.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I can tell you its a non series part is the lock ring red??
    Specialized Enduro SL Expert 2008
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    The lockring should have a code PG970, PG980 or PG990, the higher the number, the tougher the metal (and the less of it to make it lighter). A red centre would indicate the top of the range model but one with no numbers on it will be a non-series component as azzer says. These are provided in bulk and at a lower price for specific manufacturers and specific bikes, like Tesco's 'buy two, get a third free' deal. They are generally not available as after market purchases but may appear in places masquerading as grey imports. Sram (and the others) don't indicate the spec to keep everyone in the dark!
  • aba2005
    Black lock ring with no number. :-(
    "You can plan for the life you're supposed to have, but when you try to make plans, God is known to laugh"
  • nicklouse
    then it does not matter.

Why do you need to know? why do you really need to know? there is numbers normally stamped on the cogs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • aba2005
    Tbh I don't really need to know, I didn't realise that SRAM make non-series cassettes and I just wanted to know how you differentiate one SRAM cassette from another. Now I know why I couldn't.
  • nicklouse
    aba2005 wrote:
    Tbh I don't really need to know, I didn't realise that SRAM make non-series cassettes and I just wanted to know how you differentiate one SRAM cassette from another. Now I know why I couldn't.

easy just read the numbers. But if it does not matter then it does not matter ie if there are no numbers it does not matter to the maker or the supplier.....