Anyone having problems with conti tyres?

Bonus
Bonus Posts: 316
edited January 2008 in Pro race
I'm going through conti GP4000 tyres at a rate of knots!

My son and I have returned 8 to the shop so far, each after a few days of use, with splits in them. Splits occur just above the rim, about 1 cm long, running in the direction of the circumference, rather than across the tyre. Each time the split occurs the tube blows. Replacement tubes can then only be pumped up to about 40 psi "to get home"

Returned first 6 to the shop (Halfords) then the next 2 to Conti direct. Always had replacments, but thats not the point. I just want tyres that don't split!

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Is the rim in good condition which could induce the fault? If thats OK, check if the tyres are all from the same batch. There will probably be a code somewhere on it or the box indicating when it was made. The shop should be able to help you with this. If the ones which are splitting are the same batch no.'s or within a few days of manufacture, refuse it and ask for a different batch/date no.. Or, buy another tyre - you've been pretty patient so far I reckon.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Check that tere are no rough edges on the bead section of the rims. I have known of at least 2 rims that cut tyres at the bead. Take the tyres off and check the rim. Smooth off any rough areas with fine rubbing down paper or emery cloth. It does not have to be very bad to wear through the tyre as it flexes when riding.
  • Hi there.

Sounds like you've definitely had a bad batch... Even saying that I gave the Conti's a go earlier this year and was disappointed with there longevity and their wet weather handling. I've gone back to Michelin Pro Race and Pro Grip instead.

Cheers, Andy
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Could be a bad batch as stated above but a tire maker would rarely admitt to something
    like that. They would probably quietly recall them from the shops and hope it all blew
    over. Could there be some problem in the way you're mounting them on the rims?
    Not useing the proper tools or a bit to much brute force? Something like that? I like
    the idea of trying another brand of tire. That should tell you a bit more about what's
    happening. No offense intended, but my gut feeling is "installer error".

Dennis Noward
  • Bonus
    Bonus Posts: 316
    Thanks for the replies.

Checked the rims after the first time it happened and they're smooth as can be. Happens on front and back wheels.

I suspected a batch problem, given that the first few tyres all came from the same shop. I did return 2 to conti directly here:

Continental Tyre Group Ltd
    191 High Street
    Yiewsley
    West Drayton
    Middlesex
    UB7 7XW

they didn't contact me or answer any of the question I asked, but they had me sent 2 replacments via a shop somewhere near them.

The tires aren't being over inflated - they're good for 120psi IIRC.

Have phoned conti and waiting for a reply . . . . . . . .

Will chase them on thursday. Meanwhile perhaps I'll try Michelin Pro Race and Pro Grip as suggested above.
  • top_bhoy
    Bonus wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.
    Will chase them on thursday. Meanwhile perhaps I'll try Michelin Pro Race and Pro Grip as suggested above.

I've used Michelin Pro Race2 with no problems and have been my preference over the last few years but I'm sure plenty of people have used Contis without seeing the problems you are having.
  • Bernie S
    Bernie S Posts: 118
    Hmmm I had two punctures in one ride using Continental tyres and touch wood have not punctured in 2 months with Michelin Pro Race. Just bad luck with Contis ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I've got GP 4000s and I would have anything else, they've been absolutely bomb-proof for me at 105-110 psi (I'm not as serious a cyclist as most on here though)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • John.T
    The problem is most unlikely to be the tyres. If you have checked the rim beads then also check that the brake blocks are not catching the tyre. With caliper brakes the block moves up the rim as the block wears so what was clear when new may not be after a bit of wear. These sort of splits are almost always caused by one of these.
    I have had this problem once soon after I started cycling again with a Michelin tyre but it turned out to be a rough spot on the bead. I have used many Conti tyres since with no trouble like this.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I wouldn't buy Conti tyres out of choice - too many bad experiences. Gatorskins that are anything but puncture resistant and slide all over the place. GP4000s that have absolutely appalling handling in the wet for a 'race' tyre. Because of the volume of tyres I go through - 3-4 pairs year, I usually end up with some now and again because the new model is 'better' - and somehow they're always a big disappointment. My favourite training tyres are Michelin Krylions or Vredestein Fortezzas with Veloflex Pave for racing.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • John.T
    Monty. I found Gators to cut far too easily but they seemed to stick to the road OK. I have used Attack and Force as a general riding and road race tyre. They are very good. I came down the Tourmalet at silly speeds in a torential rainstorm and about 30 mtr visibility. A combination of these tyres and Koolstop Salmon brake blocks meant I felt totally safe. I was touching 40 mph even in those conditions.
    I used 25mm GP4000s for the Tour of Flanders and White Rose this year and they performed well. I have not used them in the wet though but they still felt OK at 66mph down Dibbles Bridge hill on the WR. Much smoother ride than 23s.
    It must be weight distribution, tyre pressures and riding styles that seem to affect how tyres are perceived by different people.
  • top_bhoy
    Monty Dog,

How do you find using the Michelin Krylions in the wet?
  • WTF is it with gatorskins? From this post alone "stick to the road OK" and "slide all over the place". People have such differing views of the same tyre. I cannot understand it at all (not just this forum, but all over other forums and in real life too).
    My view? - Should be illlegal in Manchester, it rains here. Well it did today anyway.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I find Krylions amongst the better tyres in the wet - we tend to get very greasy country lanes in winter, sometimes a with a green slime/algae that makes it sometimes difficult for the tyre not to slip going uphill - that's why I prefer as wide a tyre as possible. Having advised a friend on winter tyres on a new bike, a local shop insisted on Gatorskins. Second ride out, she skidded on a smooth section of road, sending her on brand new Ruby to the floor - severely bruised shoulder and trashed STI was the consequence - just replaced the STIs and fitted Krylions. On winter group rides ands inevitable puncture stops you get to know what tyres are worst, and the Gatorskins are a kind of ongoing joke.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    the thing with gatorskins is the recent(ish) change in design. Guy I ride with every week used to swear by them for punctureproofness, wet weather riding etc..., but since the change he had a few bad experiences (loss of grip, split side walls) that he just gave up on them.

Ive used sets of 4000's on my main bike for over a yearnever had a problem with them, and on my winter/commuter bike I use 4 seasons, great tyre in the wet. On both bikes I do 3-4000 miles a year, and yet with pro races I was replacing them every month due to tyre failures.

A lot of people complain of punctures early on in a tyres life, its to be expected. Go into any bike shop with new high end tyres and feel them. they all feel sticky right, this is the release agent (I think) used in the moulding process, after a week or soo its normally worn off, but whiles your tyre is sticky all those little stones and bits of glass you normally ride over are picked up by the tyre and have a habit of working their way in.

Re the original query it sounds like a batch problem, but I wouldnt expect anyone to admit to it....
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • the only decent conti clinchers are those with Black Chilli, the rest are pony.

the competition 22 tubulars are pretty good. maybe not the fastest but very durable and good grip.
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Do you know which inner tube it was that was giving you the problem.

The reason I ask is that I was using Conti Supersonic Race 28's and had a similar problem in the summer which resulted in a bad crash after a blow out. I never followed up any investigation around the tubes as I had thrown out the packaging which meant I had no reference to the tube code but if it is the same tubes then it would be worth staying well away from them.
  • Cheeky
    Cheeky Posts: 113
    It's not your brake blocks rubbing on the tyre is it?

I had that and caused the same sympton you described. I realigned the blocks and have had no problem since.