draggin dawg out of the ice age? (warning 'what ....' topic)

Fury161
Fury161 Posts: 4
edited December 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi all!

New here so please be firm but fair

Been thinking about changing my rig which is currently a standard 2004 Kona Dawg. But that seems pointless as i've always been very happy with it, theres nowt major wrong with it and its always got home in one piece (unlike me). So i'm gonna upgrade a few bits, but i've got a few questions. New forks are on there way (recon 335s) but i want to upgrade the shifters and derailleurs from Deore lx/xt to xtr, and there seems to be a few different model versions (m970,m971,m972)? Which ones will work with my frame if some of them wont and what are the major differences?

Thanks

Comments

• In all honesty unless you have a lightweight racebike I wouldn't touch XTR - I would go for 'new' XT all the way.

Exceptional kit and rave reviews everywhere.

XTR is fantastic, don't get me wrong but it's horses for courses and I find I am always fettling with my XTR drivetrain....... XT all the way for you methinks! :wink:

I think it's the wrong kit for a all mountain rig. But that's only my humble opinion. :)

PLUS with all the money you save you can upgrade other little parts! :wink:
  • sounds like wise advice. Not much point in trying to create a super light rig, when the starting point is a kona dawg frame :) Ok, I see its the same deal with the xt bits? ie; a few different models, which ones will work for me?
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    There's a couple of hundred quid between XTR and XT. I would send the Recon back and get a better fork with the money - something like a Float 32. and then cover your bike in M770 XT as Cheesey says. Also. get your shock serviced if it's not been done in 4 years!
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Fury161 wrote:
    sounds like wise advice. Not much point in trying to create a super light rig, when the starting point is a kona dawg frame :) Ok, I see its the same deal with the xt bits? ie; a few different models, which ones will work for me?

The model numbers are basically slightly different version. It will be something like M770 = Rapid Rise, M771 = Normal rear mech and M772= shadow version (normal mech but shallower profile to help resist rock strikes)

The first two may be the opposite way round so just check but thats the general idea. All will work with any frame, choose the version to suit you!
  • thanks for the help so far guys.

Am i right in thinking i need to go for the long cage version of the Shimano XTM770 Rear Derailleur?

What about switching the Recon fork for a Revalation 426 Dual air? Place i'm getting the recon from is doing some good deals on these. Some of the money i'm saving on the switch from xtr to xt could go towards a seatpost, bars etc
  • Andy
    You definitely need the long cage version.

Cant help with the forks - no experience of them.
  • Splasher
    Revelation dual air is a good, light fork, certainly worth upgrading from the Recon.

As for rear mech, you don't NEED a long cage mech. I run a medium cage mech on a triple ring set-up and can run all combinations of gears except the worst two crossed gears at each end (big ring with 1st and 2nd and little ring with 8th and 9th) which you should never use anyway.

Running a medium cage mech tightens the chain up and reduces bounce, running a long cage mech allows you to stick it in any gear you like. It's a personal preference thing.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Andy
    Splasher wrote:
    Revelation dual air is a good, light fork, certainly worth upgrading from the Recon.

As for rear mech, you don't NEED a long cage mech. I run a medium cage mech on a triple ring set-up and can run all combinations of gears except the worst two crossed gears at each end (big ring with 1st and 2nd and little ring with 8th and 9th) which you should never use anyway.

Running a medium cage mech tightens the chain up and reduces bounce, running a long cage mech allows you to stick it in any gear you like. It's a personal preference thing.

Shimano dont do a medium do they? Only short and long?
  • Splasher
    Shimano only do long and medium in MTB mechs. You need to buy a road mech to get a short cage.