buggrit :(

TheGreatGatsby
TheGreatGatsby Posts: 818
edited January 2008 in The bottom bracket
was all going well this week. been out everyday since sunday - not tuesday but moved my rest day to accomodate the extra rest - and have so far clocked up 285miles! one day to go before a well earned cakey rest day and what happens? fricking flu symptoms!! cant believe it!

my pleas to my girl to let me out just for an hours recovery ride isn't washing either :cry:

gats

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    gats, listen to your bod and your girl. Have a rest and a mince pie.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Dude, weren't you complaining of a cold just before Xmas? You need to calm down - That's an insane amount of mileage to be doing, especially as you were clearly run down.

Rest up, and wait for at least 2 days after all your symptoms have disappeared before getting on the bike again.

Also buy the new issue of Procycling magazine and take a read what Greg Lemond has to say about training :D
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • strangely I think I may just do that. Pretty confident that Ive worked off christmas this week so maybe can afford to have two rest days - maybe one - to get ready for the new year and new job and all that.

Blimey me being sensible :? :shock: that never happens!

Gats
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    might be insane milage, but one of a few that has not put on a stone of weight because of eating mince pies exessively :)
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    yeah slow down dood - not even the pros ride that much in a week - you'll just knacker yourself and get ill....
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • so I'm laid up in bed. its suny out and a bit windy and I'm stuck here.

so frustrating. I wanna go play!! :cry:

maybe tomorrow :wink:

Gats
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    so I'm laid up in bed. its suny out and a bit windy and I'm stuck here.

Gats

I'd suggest not.

Over exertion and over training will suppress your immune system and therefore potentially both delay recovery and make you more susceptible to future infections. Could this in fact be what has already happened?

There's loads of data on over training and illness. take another day off and read up on it and refine your programme!

Cheers.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    A little rest never hurt anyone - you'll soon be back up to full steam ! Bloody windy out there today though....cross winds knocking you sideways...
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Hmmm. I used to do silly things like gats does at the moment . He will learn :wink: .

Obsession comes to mind closely follows by endorphins junkie .Been there :!:
    bagpuss
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Gatsby seems to be taking this cycling lark a far too seriously.....far far far too seriously. We all love our cycling, but I think if most of us are ill we'll take it a bit slower and have a rest.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    so I'm laid up in bed. its suny out and a bit windy and I'm stuck here.

Gats

Do you have any symptoms? Seriously, when they all disappear wait *2* days before riding again.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Gatsby seems to be taking this cycling lark a far too seriously.....far far far too seriously.
    Is such a thing possible?
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • it is serious isn't it+ if you strny passionate about it then why do it? I'm worried about loss of fitness and weight gain having not done anything but eat and sleep.

I knew I shuld have bought them rollers.

Gats
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Seriously, you sound like you have developed an obsessive compulsion about this malarkey. Remember your postings about weight? I can empathise because I have been there too. However listen to all the posts telling you to calm it down a bit. You know (deep down) it makes sense.

All the best mate!
    I have pain!
  • I have taken two days rest and slept for the majority of it and surprisingly feel a hell of a lot better. Thankfully it looks like a 24 hour bug - possibly exhaustion?dunno what the symptoms are but if they're flu like then that what it was - so will ease back into the riding tomorrow.

its easy to be obsessed when obsession is all you know.

Gats
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Take it easy - we all put a pound or so on at this time of year, but don't over do it. I did Boxing Day, then 29th and 30th and maybe New Years eve - but party preps must come first - food preps and buying the 'pop' !!!

I had a week off the bike before Xmas due to the ice, but have hardly missed a 'weekday' since the start of August.

A rest is as good as a hard training day - a few days off won't affect your fitness.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    My last ride was the 23rd december. I took a few days off for festivities and I haven't managed to get on since due to a really nasty bug, which appeared on Boxing day. I'm getting better, coughing less, temperature seems normal again - just got a bit of a cold now. It's frustrating. I've put on several pounds and feel like a lump of lard. I might try a light turbo session tomorrow and then I'm going out at the weekend. What makes it worse is that I had a new gadget for Christmas and I really, really want to test it out (Garmin 305).
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    I have taken two days rest and slept for the majority of it and surprisingly feel a hell of a lot better. Thankfully it looks like a 24 hour bug - possibly exhaustion?dunno what the symptoms are but if they're flu like then that what it was - so will ease back into the riding tomorrow.

its easy to be obsessed when obsession is all you know.

Gats
    I have the BUG at the momemt :evil: Still at work :?
    This however is obession................................................................................................>>>>>.......
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 456895069/
    bagpuss