Sport Science Labs

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
Hi all,
Just wondering if any of you have been tested in a lab - heart rates and all that stuff. I was thinking of doing it, provided it's not too expensive. I'm struggling to find anything on the net though, not sure how much it costs and if it's worth it. What do you reckon?
(feeling so porky - lost count of the number of sausages wrapped in bacon that I have consumed over the last few days).

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Keep your money for something on the bike or clothing, you will get more benefit :D
    You can take your own hr in the mronings which can indicate you basic health.
    To go and get tested will only be of use if you follow it up with a tsructured training scheme followed by further tests to measure progress.
    Ok if your top athelet aiming for a specific event, or aim to be top athlete.
    Not so good for most of us.
    You will find you will prgress as yopu cycle more and get fitter anyway.
    I am sure with your backround in sport you could do most of this yourself anyway and save money :D Lots of good articles on the net.
    I am sure lots of coaches and others will now come on and say yes its great go ahead.
    Its your legs and motivation that get you fitter and faster not lab tests.
  • popette
    Keep your money for something on the bike or clothing, you will get more benefit :D
    To go and get tested will only be of use if you follow it up with a tsructured training scheme followed by further tests to measure progress.
    I am sure with your backround in sport you could do most of this yourself anyway and save money :D Lots of good articles on the net.
    I am sure lots of coaches and others will now come on and say yes its great go ahead.

Hiya. Yes, you're probably right. I've done a couple of tests myself - max hr and lactate threshold. For the LT test, I did a warm up and then 30 minutes of best effort and the average HR was only 144. I've queried it on here before but the highest HR I've seen is 163. It just seems a bit low but I know that everyone is different. Maybe what I should do is test myself on the turbo with my husband shouting at me to go faster?? Could be amusing.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I recently went to see Marc of The Endurance Coachwho has such a lab in St Helens and it was a fascinating way to spend two hours. He tested me on the turbo with a kind of gas mask on and made me ride against increasing resistance from the turbo until I fel tlike I was bleeding out of my eyes. Then he analysed the data, showing me lots of graphs and charts and, as a result, put together a training plan.

Had I not done this I wouldn't have suspected that I'm incredibly inefficient at using energy, nor would I have expected that my top end power is quite high.

I'll be going back some time in the near future to see if the numbers have improved. I recommend it, money well spent. Marc's very knowledgable and a nice fellow too.

Andy
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    popette wrote:
    [Hiya. Yes, you're probably right. I've done a couple of tests myself - max hr and lactate threshold. For the LT test, I did a warm up and then 30 minutes of best effort and the average HR was only 144. I've queried it on here before but the highest HR I've seen is 163. It just seems a bit low but I know that everyone is different. Maybe what I should do is test myself on the turbo with my husband shouting at me to go faster?? Could be amusing.
    By the way Popette, I'm assuming they took some of your red stuff. Coz if they didn't take any blood you haven't had a lactate threshold test.
  • popette
    Toks wrote:
    popette wrote:
    [Hiya. Yes, you're probably right. I've done a couple of tests myself - max hr and lactate threshold. For the LT test, I did a warm up and then 30 minutes of best effort and the average HR was only 144. I've queried it on here before but the highest HR I've seen is 163. It just seems a bit low but I know that everyone is different. Maybe what I should do is test myself on the turbo with my husband shouting at me to go faster?? Could be amusing.
    By the way Popette, I'm assuming they took some of your red stuff. Coz if they didn't take any blood you haven't had a lactate threshold test.

Hiya, no it was just the test described in the cyclists training bible book - just something I did one evening by myself, no blood taken :)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    popette wrote:

Hiya. Yes, you're probably right. I've done a couple of tests myself - max hr and lactate threshold. For the LT test, I did a warm up and then 30 minutes of best effort and the average HR was only 144. I've queried it on here before but the highest HR I've seen is 163. It just seems a bit low but I know that everyone is different. Maybe what I should do is test myself on the turbo with my husband shouting at me to go faster?? Could be amusing.
    Mine is also low Popette, 155 max is most I get riding alone, and that was sprinting up a climb.
    In a race I did record 170 but thats probably due to adrenalin and pushing harder being in a race around others :)