Frame sizing and short legs hellllllllllp

Celtic Dragon
Celtic Dragon Posts: 57
edited December 2007 in MTB general
Been looking at bikes at my LBS and I have a bit of a quandry!! :shock:

Now I have something that in my family is affectionatly known as ducks disease!!!

Now I'm not a shortarse at 6 feet tall but I only have a 29" inside leg.

Tried alot of bikes (HT's) now a 16" frame gives me a bit of room between toptube and my nuts, but feels too short, where a 17.5 - 18" frame feels right but my nuts are dragging on the top tube :oops: I see that becomeing painfull in a foot down in a hurry senario.

The 16" frame with a longer stem got it feeling right but then but the bars infront of the front axle.

Any suggestions round this?? Help and guideance is appreciated. And to cap it all I have just seen a very nice XTC frame for sale.

Comments

• Seatpost with loads of layback on a smaller frame is about all I can think of that would help

As for specific bikes the intense 6.6ss is an example of a frame with very low standover yet quite a long front triangle...I guess youll just have to look at the specs on various frames
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    u need to try it yourself, only u can know the correct size. take as many test rides as u can when you get one that feels good then start adjusting to make it perfect
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Look for frames with extra gonad clearance like this and get the right length (not recommending this frame per-se)

Rincon%20Trail%2007.jpg
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Ducks' disease made me smile.

:D

This is quite an interesting problem, since your proportions are obviously different to most other riders.

I'd think you should be looking at traditional XC race-style bikes, perhaps like the XTC that you mentioned - or maybe even longer in the top tube.

What would be a stretched-out racing position for most riders might just be more like a normal riding position for you - with your longer torso (and presumably arms).

Were you planning on buying blind off the internet?
  • Chang, if and a big if, if I can get the XTC frame for the right price then I'll suck it and see as it was an XTC that we were fiddling with in the LBS. THat way I shouldn't loose alot of money on the frame on resale.

If not it will probably come down to a long hard wait and look see to find a frame that is almost perfect the fettle from there.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    The other possible solution (if not a cheap one) is to have a frame custom built for you. That way you can get a short seat tube but a long top tube.

A custom built frame is never cheap (typically starting at around £400 for a steel one, virtually impossible to find someone who'll custom build aluminium, but titanium is available too), but look at it as a long term investment - the frame will fit you like a glove and you can specify all the extra bits you want on it that an off-the-shelf frame may not have.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Oh well, back to plan A. The 456, I'll have to email them tonight.

Missed out on the XTC frame by £5 with 5 seconds to go :(
  • Maybe if u looked down the back of the sofa, u might find enough money for one of these:
    9780-31_l.jpg
    wow...

:shock: