Turkey (the new performance enhancing drug)

dhxcme
dhxcme Posts: 1,467
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Have just done a brisk 10 miles and managed to shave about 10 minutes off my normal time. The only thing have done different in the last week is ODed on turkey. Could it be that turkey enhances performance.

I haven't modded my bike in any way. I just rode like i normally do (till my lungs felt like they were boiling blood in them) I haven't really improved my times in the last few weeks as I think I hit a peak.

My routine is normal

Can't sleep, get up, red bull and two slices toast, dress, ride, get home red bull.

Could it relly be all the turkey dinners. And if so should pro atheletes be banned from having turkey.

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Try getting rid of the Red Bull. You've got about 10 times more caffeine in one can than in an ordinary cup of joe, plus taurine. Neither of which is any good for you.

That's probably why you can't sleep either... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    LOL! I would say Turkey has had a bad effect on my xmas riding, I couldn't get of the couch yesterday or xmas due to the "turkey anchor" weighing me down :lol:

And today its torrential downpours, sat here in front of pc with a brew and I think ill stay dry inside. :oops:

Bring on the cold icy winter blue skies!
  • dave_hill wrote:
    Try getting rid of the Red Bull. You've got about 10 times more caffeine in one can than in an ordinary cup of joe, plus taurine. Neither of which is any good for you.

That's probably why you can't sleep either... :shock:

iirc redbull has less caffeine in it than some chain store coffee's i.e st r buc s a lot less
    and tauine is natural in all mammals
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    dave_hill wrote:
    /quote]

Not to mention the ridiculous amounts of sugar in non-diet Red Bull, or the aspartame (rumoured to increase cancer risks) in the diet stuff. Not exactly a healthy drink.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • mate red bull messes you up. Especialy if u have 2 cans a day! :O
    It makes it much harder for you to get 'happy' (erm thats not rele the right word..) because it coats ur endorphin receptors in ur brain, meaning that u dont get the usual 'high' from exercise or whatever.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    iirc redbull has less caffeine in it than some chain store coffee's i.e st r buc s a lot less and tauine is natural in all mammals

So are calcium, iron, proteins, vitamin C, and everything else, but you can still overdose on them!

Two cans of Red Bull every day is far too much for anyone, whichever way you look at it. The caffeine will contribute to this guy's not sleeping, which in itself is no good whatsoever.

Each can of ordinary Red Bull contains the equivalent of 9 teaspoons full of sugar. Diet Red Bull (and every other "diet" soft drink) is sweetened with aspartame. Aspartame contains a substance called phenylalinine, which, after benzene (which by the way is used as an octane booster in super unleaded petrol. Think about that next time you splash yourself at the filling station...), is one of the most carcenogenic chemicals known to man. As long as the stuff is kept refrigerated it's fine - but bring it up to room (or body) temperature and it starts to break down.

It can cause cancers and nerve damage, and is widely thought to be one of the major causes of so-called "Gulf War Syndrome", due to large numbers of allied servicemen guzzling several cans of unrefrigerated diet drinks every day.

Soft drinks of any sort are bad news. Fruit juice is the way forward.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:

Blasphemy! hehe i love cola of coke! Anything in moderation is ok.
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    Red bull happens after when I can't sleep usually once a week around Wednesday or Thursday. I tend to over dose on sleep on the night before due to being exhausted by work and then can't sleep the night after.

Also i wasn't clear, 1/2 can before and the rest after. Far too much gas to drink a whole can in one go. I'd end up jet propelled. :shock: :arrow:
  • dave_hill wrote:
    iirc redbull has less caffeine in it than some chain store coffee's i.e st r buc s a lot less and tauine is natural in all mammals

So are calcium, iron, proteins, vitamin C, and everything else, but you can still overdose on them!

Two cans of Red Bull every day is far too much for anyone, whichever way you look at it. The caffeine will contribute to this guy's not sleeping, which in itself is no good whatsoever.

Each can of ordinary Red Bull contains the equivalent of 9 teaspoons full of sugar. Diet Red Bull (and every other "diet" soft drink) is sweetened with aspartame. Aspartame contains a substance called phenylalinine, which, after benzene (which by the way is used as an octane booster in super unleaded petrol. Think about that next time you splash yourself at the filling station...), is one of the most carcenogenic chemicals known to man. As long as the stuff is kept refrigerated it's fine - but bring it up to room (or body) temperature and it starts to break down.

It can cause cancers and nerve damage, and is widely thought to be one of the major causes of so-called "Gulf War Syndrome", due to large numbers of allied servicemen guzzling several cans of unrefrigerated diet drinks every day.

agree 100%

i was pointing out that redbull does not contain as much caffine as chainstore coffee

and iirc in some places its banned from sale because of health reasons france and norway come to mind ..........
  • ok what does 'iirc' stand for?
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    "If I recall correctly"

I think.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Thanks for that, just asked the missus what iirc stood for and then read the next posts. Still learning forum speak, got IMO & IMHO sorted, thought lol stood for loads of laughs but have since been told it stands for laugh out loud( I really reckon it's a little picture of a man shouting holding both his arms up in the air :wink: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • stumpyjon wrote:
    I really reckon it's a little picture of a man shouting holding both his arms up in the air :wink:
    haha it does! oh no, this is going to annoy me, every time now i will see a man holding his arms up!
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I havn't been riding since thursday before christmas (Daft) But shall get out tomorrow, well try if i can finish my work :shock: :idea:

Still...Off to Afan on friday, till Monday:)
  • dave_hill wrote:

Damn, your dropping the science on us here!

I'm really trying to cut out coke but i love the stuff and have switched to coke zero.. has that still got aspartame in it? I've heard basically anyone hoping to be reasonably fit should stop drinking fizzy sugary drinks altogether.

I do like those Innocent smoothies maybe I should hop on that bandwagon!
    Do it.
  • joe boy
    joe boy Posts: 53
    Back on the turky point, it contains good protiens which is perfect for muscle repair and growth, it contains less fat than chicken and cost half as much.
    It also contains stuff(can't think of the scientific name) that help you relax and sleep better. So it's ideal. Lay off the bull and keep on the turky.