Omg my worst nightmare has happened... :O

webbhost
webbhost Posts: 470
edited December 2007 in The bottom bracket
Well.. biking home this morning after a night shift, I got 100 yards down the road and my bike broke..... Trouble is that I am not sure if this has rendered the bike obsolete....

Anyway (excuse me for posting such a POPULAR thread... what bike/) but On http://www.juliescycles.co.uk , What would you suggest to be the best road bike available on the website for an maximum of around £500 and DEFINATLY no more than £600?

Thank you for any input... Hopefully It wont be required and I can ride my old one, but need some urgent advice as I need a bike for tomorrow!

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Can you define 'bike broke' - that could mean anything at all.. then we can help !!!
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Of course if the "broken bike" is not going to be "100% reliable" you may need a new one as well!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • webbhost
    Basically the unit on the back wheel (has 2 cogs, chain runs thruoh it, springed), the whole unit has snapped off the frame... Trouble is im not sure if its snapped off the main bike frame or a smaller plate which is changeable / fixable.

Olbviously if this is part of the main frame thats broken the bikes going to be a obsolete and I will hvae no choice but to get a new one.

Going to take it to the shop in a minute see if the guy can help me out.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you are saying your rear mech has fallen off ?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    take it to a shop before you buy another one......If its a cheap bike, its likely to be aluminium and as such likely to have a replacable mech hanger
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    My tyres are slowly going flat. Do I need a new bike as well ?
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Only if the bell has stopped ringing as well.
  • gavintc
    Listen if you want a new bike - fine. But, don't try to justify your purchase on here by claiming you have a broken rear mech. Your bike is quite probably repairable and if it is simply the hangar, it will be quite cheap.

With regard to your question of best bike. There are lots of options. I would advise you to keep clear of Halfords and find a good large road bike shop - go visit, discuss and look. You clearly know little about the mechanical aspects of a bike, I therefore suggest that buying on line has greater risks for you than many. I also suggest that you need the after sales service and support of a decent shop.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Obsolete? If the bikes broken, it's broken not obsolete.
    Obsolescence is a state of being which occurs when a person, object, or service is no longer wanted, even though it may still be in good working order.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • webbhost
    "Only if the bell has stopped ringing as well." - what bell? lol.

Turns out it easily repairable. Just a note for the snarky remarks that arised in this thread, I am not a bike mechanic, nor do I claim to be one.

I simply posted 1) to get an insight to how severe the damage was (and I was told that older bikes did not have this removable part and thus if it was not a newer bike then the frame would have been broken) and 2) to get a quick solution to a new bike should I have needed to rush out as fast as I could today to get a new one so that I can work tomorrow.

Rant over, thanks for the replies, and yeah it was th rear mech that came off. I think I'll post any fuiture questions in beginner cyclists because there tends to be a better understanding that forum users do not know "everything" about bikes.

Sorry if anyone found this post pointless or annoying, for those that did lets just get back to the other threads and enjoy the forum like we should do.

Again thanks for the replies.
  • webbhost
    and to think... I thought it was time for an upgrade for a minute :( hmph lol. :D

Also julies cycles is in leicester, 10 miles from where I live. Good bike shop, so was not planning on buying online.

Besides wouldn't that be a bit of a gamble with fitting etc lol.
  • gavintc
    Had a look at Jules Cycles. Effectively, you have 2 choices; Giant and Trek. IMO, I think the Giant provides a better specced bike than the Trek for the same money and the SCR 3 and 2 seem reaonable options. The Tiagra equipped SCR 2 is less likely to become obselete (not broken:-) ) in the short to medium term as Shimano are dropping the Sora 8 sp and moving to 9 sp. Their 2008 Sora is now 9 speed.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Don't worry, by being able to describe the rear mech and hanger as a unit you have shown more technical ability than the average driver. The average driver will replace their vehicle because the number plate has a number that is more than 5 off the current trend.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    nwallace wrote:
    Don't worry, by being able to describe the rear mech and hanger as a unit you have shown more technical ability than the average driver. The average driver will replace their vehicle because the number plate has a number that is more than 5 off the current trend.

personally as a driver i try and buy one with only three letters on it

if i have to have four letters then i try and make it so the single letter is at the right hand side.

use it till its not usable anymore seems less impact on the envornomnet to me and i can actually fit in the drivers seat
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • webbhost
    lol nwallace.

I just got it back from halfords (yeah I was naughty I know, but the usual bike shop was not open).

Actually I have to give it to them halfords have done a pretty darn good job on my bike today.. (Yep im being naughty again, I'm complimenting halfords!).

They did a service on my bike (althrough they're not meant to do sevicing until next year), and picked up alot of things I hadn't noticed myself, Have to say I learned alot today.

I know basic maintenance e.g. cleaning chain, sorting brakes, sorting gear mesh etc (well gear mesh is a rough idea), chainging parts e.g. pedals, gears, sorting tyers and punctures etc... I know quite a bit, however I have never had to deal with the gear mesh so it somewhat threw me when it snapped off lol.

Good thing is I now have a fully functioning bike, with a brand new chain and mesh gears.

Turns out when the mesh snapped off, it also broke a mesh cog, so they had to be replaced too lol.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    webbhost wrote:
    Actually I have to give it to them halfords have done a pretty darn good job on my bike today.. (Yep im being naughty again, I'm complimenting halfords!).
    :shock:

Christmas is a time for miracles! :lol:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill