It's the shortest day today

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
edited December 2007 in The bottom bracket
And thank fck for that! So get your swimming cozzies out of the cupboard, it's pure sunshine and hot hot hot from now on....

Isn't it?
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Lol - as I opened this posting I was thinking "thank f**k for that"! :D
  • Something like that...
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Hooray, summer is on the way. Lets have a party (on Tuesday) to celebrate that the world is not going to end. :D:):lol:
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    sorry to be a party pooper and I may have this wrong as I heard it on five live from the dippy weather presenter who must have the cheesiest links into her weather forecast EVER, but the shortest day is tomorrow as next year is a leap year.

I've never heard of it changing like that so it may be bollox.

Watch out Manchester - I'm coming into town tonight to do some serious dancing!!
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    yikes
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • It being a leap year next year is sort of relevant.

Basically, as I understand it the solstice moves by a few hours a year which means that the shortest day although usually the 21st will sometimes fall on the 22nd. The leap year resets things - if we didn't have the extra day the shortest day would carry on getting later and later each year.

I found a link that explains the shift of six hours every year here

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.3843

So let's all be depressed for another day! It's still getting darker!!

:(

Oh and sunset will carry on getting earlier for a few more days! So it's not all good. :(

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Sunset has already started getting later here, it was 15:53 on Tuesday, it's 15:54 now :)

The downside is sunrise will start getting later as well until the end of the month/beginning of next month :(
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    Here's a good site for day length/sunrise/sunset etc.

London

Liverpool

The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Its perpetual gloom up here in Scotland at present. I'll wait another month and should hopefully get a glimpse of the sun 8)
    Brian B.
  • I think we should divide up the daylight and sunny weather and spread it out more evenly troughout the year. This could happen quite easily using sleeping pills and a time-machine.

We should also adopt the metric time system (AKA Brussels Mean Time) - Ten seconds in a minuite of which there are ten in an hour. Ten hours a day, ten days a week and ten weeks a month, ten months every year. Not sure how long a euro-second will need to be though in old imperial seconds...
  • Well it was the longest day of the year here yesterday. Sunny outside right now, clear blue sky and about 25C. :)

I suppose we're on the downhill run now!
  • I always get a tickle out of replying, "What do you mean it's the shortest day of the year? Are there less than 24hour in or something?!".... "Oh you mean shortest day of daylight hours!"

That's the kind of nerd I am :)
    Every winner has scars.
  • vermooten wrote:
    And thank fck for that! So get your swimming cozzies out of the cupboard, it's pure sunshine and hot hot hot from now on....

Isn't it?[/quote

forget the cossies lets get the shorts out and summer shoes
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    **** ** * ******* **, and no ****.
  • Graham O
    Graham O Posts: 150
    Perhaps the best news is that the earliest evening has passed us some time ago and the evenings are already getting lighter, even if only by 2 minutes so far. Soon, the commute home will be getting lighter.

The downside is that the latest morning has yet to come. It was still very dark here at 8 this morning, not helped by the overcast sky.