South of Mont Ventoux

King of Spain
King of Spain Posts: 60
edited December 2007 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone know the area around Sault, and especially the Gorges de la Nesques ? This is the area about 20kms south of Ventoux.

I am organising a ride for 20 people in the area next May but don't know this part of provence....is the Gorge a good 2 hour loop ?

Any hints or knowledge welcomed ! Thanks
KoS

Comments

• Does anyone know the area around Sault, and especially the Gorges de la Nesques ? This is the area about 20kms south of Ventoux.

I am organising a ride for 20 people in the area next May but don't know this part of provence....is the Gorge a good 2 hour loop ?

Any hints or knowledge welcomed ! Thanks
    KoS

I posted a photo and text report on my Mont Ventoux, Sault and Gorges de la Nesque ride with map last year:
    http://www.steephill.tv/2007/mont-ventoux/

Let me know if you need any other specific info.

Steve
    www.steephill.tv bike travelogue
  • The Gorge de la Nesque scenic road is absolutely beautiful.

There are a few options.

We prefer to ascend it and this is probably the best option leaving the Gorge as a great climax to the ride. I also think you get to see more of it and it's a really easy climb, 19km at an average of less than 3%
    Leave Sault on the D1. It's a bit of a slog up the Col des Abeilles but if you turn left after the big hairpin you can go to Les Isnards, then cross the D1 and descend to Flassan, have lunch in Villes sur Auzon then on to the Gorge.

If you want to descend the Gorge (and I wouldn't blame you because it is an awesome descent) try to aviod heading back to Sault via the D1 over the Col des Abeilles because it's a horrible 12km slog from 300m to 996m.

There is also a great little road to the South of The Gorge via Methamis but this route will be much longer than 2 hours.

Another good 2 hour (ish) loop would be to go to the stunning perched villages of Brantes (ace auberge!) and Montbrun les Bains for fantastic views of the steeper northern slopes of Mont Ventoux. There is a great (easy 2km) climb out of Brantes up to the Col des Aires then a wicked descent to Montbrun on brand new tarmac. Then take the road up to Ferrassieres on the way back.
    (The little Augberge in Aurel near Sault serves amazing salads)

As above if you need any more info e mail me.
  • steephill
    steephill Posts: 151
    edited December 2007
    craigenty obviously knows the area well. I've never climbed Gorge de la Nesque before but the descent is really fun. It's the perfect grade and the view is fabulous. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  • steephill wrote:
    craigenty obviously knows the area well. I've never climbed Gorge de la Nesques before but the descent is really fun. It's the perfect grade and the view is fabulous. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Enjoyed your account of your time near Sault Steephill. Great pics too.
    Col de l'Homme Mort!!! Great climb from Montbrun. Next time you should try the Col de Negron, a little bit further east.

We probably get to the Gorge at least once a week in summer. One of my favourite loops is the Tour of Mont ventoux. It's only 110km, takes in the gorge and the Toulourenc valley to the north. Awesome!
  • Thanks all for some invaluable info and especially the links - graet stuff - and look slike what I picked out from the map is in fact a real cycling dream. many thans for all of your valuable help everyone, much appreciated.

Have a good Christams - I did 90 minutes today at sub-zero temps and my legs were red raw...hoping Provence in May will be better !
  • Thanks all for some invaluable info and especially the links - graet stuff - and look slike what I picked out from the map is in fact a real cycling dream. many thans for all of your valuable help everyone, much appreciated.

Have a good Christams - I did 90 minutes today at sub-zero temps and my legs were red raw...hoping Provence in May will be better !

Thanks. Please don't tell me that you were wearing shorts :shock:
  • nearly...just riding trousers...forgot the long johns...a lesson well learnt and a mistake I will NEVER repeat !!!!!
  • daviddd
    daviddd Posts: 637
    10/10 for Gorge de la Nesque - gorgeous. I slowly rolled downhill and kept stopping to admire the view. Sault is a lovely town too.
    Oct 2007 to Sep 2008 - anticlockwise lap of Australia... http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    French Alps Tour 2006: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=r ... =1914&v=5R
    3 month tour of NZ 2015... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz2014
  • steephill
    edited December 2007
    craigenty wrote:
    Next time you should try the Col de Negron, a little bit further east.

We probably get to the Gorge at least once a week in summer. One of my favourite loops is the Tour of Mont ventoux. It's only 110km, takes in the gorge and the Toulourenc valley to the north. Awesome!

I stayed in Buis-les-Baronnies and St. Jalle just north of the Toulourenc river for a total of five days on two trips in the summer of 2006 but never rode it. There looks like a great 40k loop around Montagne de Bluye with the Toulourenc riiver on the south side according to the Michelin map. The Toulourenc riiver winds a far distance where specifically is the Toulourenc valley? Are you referring to D40?
  • steephill
    edited December 2007
    daviddd wrote:
    10/10 for Gorge de la Nesque - gorgeous. I slowly rolled downhill and kept stopping to admire the view. Sault is a lovely town too.

That's the way I did it the second time when I took pictures. The first time I bombed it with a group of guys. Really fun either way. It should be called Gorgeous de la Nesque.
  • steephill wrote:
    craigenty wrote:

I stayed in Buis-les-Baronnies and St. Jalle just north of the Toulourenc river for a total of five days on two trips in the summer of 2006 but never rode it. There looks like a great 40k loop around Montagne de Bluye with the Toulourenc riiver on the south side according to the Michelin map. The Toulourenc riiver winds a far distance where specifically is the Toulourenc valley? Are you referring to D40?

That loop does my favourite col. The Col de Fontaube. It's only 635m but the views of Mont Ventoux are stunning. At this time of year the steep gullies on the north face are full of snow.

I've put most of our local cols in a database http://www.montventouxwebcam.com/pdf/cols.pdf

What a fantastic base camp Buis les Baronnies is :) How many times did you do the Col d'Ey if you stayed in Ste. Jalle? Did you do the Soubeyrand and the Peyruergue?
  • craigenty wrote:
    steephill wrote:
    craigenty wrote:

That loop does my favourite col. The Col de Fontaube. It's only 635m but the views of Mont Ventoux are stunning. At this time of year the steep gullies on the north face are full of snow.

Thanks. I'll check it out next time.
    craigenty wrote:
    What a fantastic base camp Buis les Baronnies is :) How many times did you do the Col d'Ey?

I cycled Col d'Ey four times. As you know, just like the Mont Ventoux, there are three ways to the top and I cycled all three roads to up to Col d'Ey. It's much. much easier than the God of the Provence of course.
    craigenty wrote:
    if you stayed in Ste. Jalle? Did you do the Soubeyrand and the Peyruergue?

Yes and Yes. I'm sure you have photos too, but here are our Les Baronnies ride photos http://www.steephill.tv/2007/les-baronnies/ with photos of all the cols you've mentioned.
  • 'We' love Buy and StJelly as 'we' called it. Lovely part of the world, tho' we're normally based a bit further north in the metropolis of St Ferreol trente Pas. The little road south east of Nyons is lovely too. Rolling and hot but with a stinking cold (!) I managed to faint at one point much to the interest of some Danish cyclists. Scraped meself & me bike up a bit too :cry: which is good going as i was standing still when it happened. Will try D'ey next time we get down there.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Craig,

Great to see the short article about Ventoux in CW this week and a good little write up for you. It brought back great memories of the few days we spent with you.

King of Spain

The gorge as already stated is beuatiful But, there are also some stunning rides in the area - relatively quiet roads and great views. We have been twice and are already planning our 3rd trip this summer. Highly recommended and Criag's Veloventoux is an excellent way to fully appreciate the area.