given up smoking

2»

Comments

• DR650s wrote:
    well im only 16 and ive been smoking properly for about 2 years now,i have given up for the grand total of 7 times and the longest has been for 5 months but i have decided thty last pack on friday would be my last ones.!!! wish me luck,the bike certainly has been whats motivating me to stop.although at my tender age i am afraid that i will be having the odd few at partys etc but that cant be that bad....can it...?

Yes unfortunately it is, I have been through this as well "I'll only smoke when I have a drink", "II'll only smoke other peoples fags", in the end you will go back smoking. My major regret is that I didn't stop smoking till I was 35, if only I knew at 18 what I know now I would never have started. At 16 the thought of dieing from smoking will be far from your mind, but you are damaging your body. I worry that having smoked for so long I have already done the damage.

But you also need to understand why you smoke and what the cigerette does, and how. I truely believe that I never enjoyed smoking, peer pressure made me start, and after that I was hooked on Nicotene, but I never enjoyed smoking. Once I understood that, and that stopping was about breaking the nicotene additcion, it was easy to stop, and I have never craved, or wanted another cigerette since.
    I did not resist smoking until that majical day when I wouldn't want one again, I just didn't want one, because I understood what smoking did to my body, and why I believed I needed them, and believe me I was hooked. Once I understood this, I just didn't want one anymore, and I owe that to Allen Carr.

Benefits....well I went from high blood pressure and out of breath, to "the resting heart rate and blood pressure of a proffessional athlete" according to two seperate paramedics. Obviously this is also due to a lot of training, but I would never have been able to do it smoking.

You can do it, just understand fags are simply nicotene injections with some real nasty chemicals added in, you don't need them and in truth don't enjoy them, you just think you do. You trained your body to accept them (they made you feel sick and dizzy when you first smoked), and just as easy your body will come to not want of need the nicottene. Don't use patches or gum, nicottene is the quickest drug to become addicted to, but has the least cold turkey effect, and within a couple of days your body will not crave it anymore.

I owe you a big thank you because what you put i thought long and hard about it.

i started to smoke because of a girl that i liked.it started from the odd 1 to up to 10 in a day and my fitness decreasing and of course..an addiction to nicotine.im not going to blame her because it was me and tbh,,i got what i wanted in the end :P .

it also made me realize that smoking is damaging me and my riding (the wholle reason im on this forum) so..as of now.....i quit..thats it....me smoking is over(i had around 20 from firday so i meesed up my giving up befoer hand ^^^)

thanks very much

thanks
  • Cunning-Stunt :

Its funny reading your post as it was identical to my situation, we are of a similar age and the 'smoking history' is bang on how i feel too.

All I can say is try Neil Caseys book as I mentioned in a previous post, The Nicotine Trick, I cant recommend it enough to people. All it take is real knowledge, not what the nhs or stop smoking helplines will tell you, and you will succeed.
    Do it.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Well, you're on the right track. Good Luck. The only advice i can offer is never, ever
    take even a puff from a smoke again or you may end up, rather quickly, right back where
    you started. It might help, to keep you on the right track, to observe people with
    Emphysema. I watched my father in law die from it and a few other things that smoking
    caused. It was horrible.

Dennis Noward
  • dennisn wrote:
    It might help, to keep you on the right track, to observe people with
    Emphysema.

My mother is dying from that right now,doubt she's got 2 years left in her :(
    Very,very ill...and yet i'm still chuffing away :evil:
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • pol924
    pol924 Posts: 13
    What is the book called by Allen Carr. I have read one of his called 'Packing it in the easy way'. This seems more like a autobiography and towards the end of the book goes on to say how good the 'easyway' system is but never actually tells you about it. Which book is the right one?
  • pol924 wrote:
    What is the book called by Allen Carr.

"The only way to stop smoking permanently"
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • pol924 wrote:
    What is the book called by Allen Carr. I have read one of his called 'Packing it in the easy way'. This seems more like a autobiography and towards the end of the book goes on to say how good the 'easyway' system is but never actually tells you about it. Which book is the right one?

I read that book without flinching or feeling sick.

Trying to get through the pack I have and hopefully that will be it. Nicorette is on standby and work have been warned.