my first buy

sleepydanny
sleepydanny Posts: 5
edited December 2007 in MTB beginners
im looking at buying my first bike and ive narrowed it down to the specialized pitch pro. it seems to b a good all round bike and has no bad reviews. im looking for an alrounder is this a good choice?? or does anyone have any other sugestions??

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Its a bike that leans more towards the aggressive sort of riding - that depends on your style and terrain. As you are new to biking I am not sure I would get a bike like that - I would be a little more conservative, maybe get a cheaper hardtail, learn the basic skills and see how you fair.
  • Agreed - always better to start on a hardtail and thats a fair bit of cash to part with only to find you don't like it..

there are loads of decent hard tails around, this one is pretty good for the money and the 2007 model won a couple of awards......

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360026030
  • im looking at buying my first bike and ive narrowed it down to the specialized pitch pro. it seems to b a good all round bike and has no bad reviews. im looking for an alrounder is this a good choice?? or does anyone have any other sugestions??

The Pitch PRO is a great bike (Ihave one).

You need to start walking before you can run, Buy a mid-price (£750) hardtail and see if MTBing is for you or not, also you will pick up valuable skill that you would not get on a FS,however if you get the bug and get a FS then you will really see the benefit of it.

Look at something like a rockhopper, trek or merlin malt...all great bikes
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Agreed, seconded and thirded.

Learning to ride off-road on a FS bike will severely limit your ability to learn good handling skills. FS is great, but it can be used to mask poor riding and bad technique.

Get a hardtail, nice flat pedals and grippy shoes. Then ride it as much as you can, in all conditions. Get the skills, then move up to FS.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • you know what this post will say so i'll save my breath :wink:
    I've gone from FS to hardtail, make of that what you will but i think they're more fun.
    For a 2nd bike you can decide more specifically what full sus you'd want in terms of which direction you wanna take your riding.
    hardtail first, spend bout 600 maybe.
  • I am only starting out and had looked around on the net and spoke to the guy in my local shop, he suggested the GT Aggressor. I have since read on a review site people dissing the hell out of it! Have I been sold a pup? I will be riding up in cavehill in north belfast. I am heading out tomorrow with a mate and will let you know how it goes
  • micko76 wrote:
    I am only starting out and had looked around on the net and spoke to the guy in my local shop, he suggested the GT Aggressor. I have since read on a review site people dissing the hell out of it! Have I been sold a pup? I will be riding up in cavehill in north belfast. I am heading out tomorrow with a mate and will let you know how it goes

Dont worry, its a ok starter bike for the money.. how much you pay for it?
  • £350, did he see me coming?
  • What spec is it
  • Offroad performance bike with 18" frame
    GT Tripple Triangle aluminium frame
    Rock Shox Dart 1 forks with 100mm of travel
    Powerful tektro IO mechanical disc brakes
    Shimano Deore 27 speed gearing
    Suntour SR170 chainset with cartridge bearing bottom bracket
    Alex DP17 disc rims with Tioga Factory Extreme XC Tyres

As you can see I have just copy and pasted the above!
  • for the money its ok!

if you get into it big style then you will want to upgrade like i did!

i went for a 06 Rockhopper disc to and 07 Rockhopper Pro 07 which i still have as well as a 08 Pitch Pro
  • I know that I will have to upgrade various parts of the bike in time. I will get out and see how it rides. Did you upgrade soon after getting your bike?
  • 06 Rockhopper may 2006
    07 Rockhopper pro march 2007
    08 Pitch pro Novemeber 2007
  • probably a stupid question! did you upgrade after a breakdown or did you upgrade to improve the performance?
  • do you mean upgrade the bikes or the bits on my pitch Pro?
  • upgrade the parts. trying to read up on what are the best companies for forks, tyres, chains etc
  • I'd wait till something breaks unless its a really bad part. when something breaks, ask on here and do a search on here too. you'll quickly see the best products out there.
  • cheers, I am like a kid on christmas day. cant wait to go out tomorrow! cheers for the advice
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sleepy, dont listen, if youve got the money to spend then i reccomend you should buy the best you can afford. its all well and good saying you should learn on a hardtail so you will be technically better but you will learn plenty enough on a good full sus bike (which is a completely different set of skills altogether)

if riding a good full susser will mask your skills and make you appear better, then what does it matter. unless you are planning to be a competitor on the world stage, and most of us arent, then why put yourself through the arse ache of riding a hardtail which is more exhausting and tends to require more nursing through the "tough stuff" just to have passed through some right of passage which is no one elses business, when you can just blast along on a full sus having a blast and not worrying about whther you are the worlds most technically advanced rider. you will have plenty of time to ponder that when you are back at the carpark waiting for your battered and bruised technical expert mates (who all want a full susser but cant afford a good one)

of course, this is all my own opinion and i look forward to the incoming hardtail riders opinions no doubt extolling the virtues of less maintenance, lighter weight and satisfaction that superior technical skill brings yaaawn.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol, I see where you are coming from, but we dont know the full extent of the riding or terrain. Nor whether he will enjoy it, so I think most peoples advice is going on the cautious side. There is no doubt that over XC terrain and many trails a hardtail is lighter, faster and can be rode further - if this is what you want! Best thing, as ever, is to test a few out.
  • arse is a bit sore today! as are most of muscles. had a gret time up cavehill in belfast, had 2 falls, the first was head over the handlebars, the wheel got caught in a small hole. the second was completely embarassing! going along a narrow ledge too slow and cautious, some how i wobbled a bit and thought "feck I almost fell there" next thing I knew I was tumbling over the edge with the bike landing on my head( helmets work!) and sliding about 20ft down the gully. lay there laughing about it, nothing more than a bruised ego. I am completely hooked now, I want to have another go at that ledge, it will not beat me!
  • sleepy, dont listen, if youve got the money to spend then i reccomend you should buy the best you can afford. its all well and good saying you should learn on a hardtail so you will be technically better but you will learn plenty enough on a good full sus bike (which is a completely different set of skills altogether)

if riding a good full susser will mask your skills and make you appear better, then what does it matter. unless you are planning to be a competitor on the world stage, and most of us arent, then why put yourself through the ars* ache of riding a hardtail which is more exhausting and tends to require more nursing through the "tough stuff" just to have passed through some right of passage which is no one elses business, when you can just blast along on a full sus having a blast and not worrying about whther you are the worlds most technically advanced rider. you will have plenty of time to ponder that when you are back at the carpark waiting for your battered and bruised technical expert mates (who all want a full susser but cant afford a good one)

of course, this is all my own opinion and i look forward to the incoming hardtail riders opinions no doubt extolling the virtues of less maintenance, lighter weight and satisfaction that superior technical skill brings yaaawn.

I agree

Get the Full Susser, I wished I had done more of my homework before Id spent money on my 1st proper mountain bike (rockhopper 2004, great bike which I wished I still had as a second bike) I kept it a year then sold it for next to nothing, then purchased a 140mm travel full susser. It's awesome to ride, I couldnt care less who over takes me on the trail UP or DOWN hill I love my bike and its perfect for me, all my mates own Full sussers one of them had an orange five as his 1st bike and within 2-3 months was riding as fast as the rest of us who had started out on Hardtails for a year or more.

Sorry Hardtail buddies, No offense just my opinion :D

And I really want a Merlin Malt :D
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!