where to ride in tyne and wear

TARGA_RIDER
TARGA_RIDER Posts: 12
edited December 2007 in MTB rides
[/b]where to ride in tyne and wear

Comments

• Chopwell Woods is probably the best bet in terms of distance, But Kielder, Hamsterley e.t.c. aren't TOO far. Where are you?
  • Rich25
    Rich25 Posts: 231
    I live in Gateshead so ill tell you where I ride. In the summer (light nights) its usually chopwell woods which is small but excellent. Hamsterley forest is just twenty five miles away and that is by far the best ride in the area.Other options are Kielder and possibly upto the Glentress if you have the transport. Also did a decent ride aound blanchland fell last weekend which was quite good. All depends what kind of riding you fancy but there is loads out there.
  • thanks but i havent got any transport i live in jarrow and i was thinking of riding somewhere
  • Rich25
    Rich25 Posts: 231
    ride along the c2c route then.Nice route to the coast. Not exactly mountain biking but will get you out. Chopwell is close enough to ride to at the weekend.
  • how do you get there from newcastle :lol:
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    I lived in Heaton, Newcastle for 5 years and would go riding twice every week with the University of Northumbria MTB club

we would ride out past the Redheugh bridge and the Metro Centre into Rowlands Gill and then along the cycle path to the base of chopwell woods, other times we would take an off-road route to Prudhoe woods (near the hospital), follow the river Tyne or go along the coast

there was some amazing riding....enjoy :D
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • how long does it take
  • Try going along the coastal path from South Shields to Marsden Rock. Cross the coast road and follow path past the golf course and through Marsden Quarry to Cleadon Hills. Descend towards Tilesheds nature reserve and through Boldon flats. Go through Boldon , cross over the A19 via the "Banana Bridge" and head back towards Jarrow. You can then pick up the path leading from Monkton Stadium towards Washington. Mostly off road and about 12 miles in length.

Another good route is past the Stadium of Light and along the banks of the River Wear.