rack options

j_robi
j_robi Posts: 51
edited December 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi i want to transport 3 bikes on my 3 door peugeot 205.
I was wondering what is generally considered the better option security/safety/practicality wise
Either:
Roof bars, with bike holders on the roof
OR
A bike holder/rack that clamps onto the boot (eg.from halfords)

Any advice appreciated
thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tow bar mounted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • j_robi
    j_robi Posts: 51
    don't have a towbar
  • nicklouse
    Is the 3 bikes going to be regular?

what type of weight are they? light XC of heavy DH?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Sev101
    Sev101 Posts: 56
    I would defo go for tow bar - I have just swopped from roof mounted to tow bar and ok is a bit more exepensive but christ is it easier specially when it's blowing a gale and you are faffing about trying to keep the damn thing steady while attaching it to the carrier
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    It also depends on how ofter you plan to transport the bikes - you will want some heavier duty gear if you plan to use it very regularly.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Do not use a strap on bike rack for 3 bikes unless they are very light and the rack is very good. Roof mounted are a good bet, but the best is tow bar mounted stylee. The very best option... buy an estate and put them inside. It will save you the worry of losing a bike underneath a truck!
  • Do you need to bring people too? If not get some large bags, homebase do 1 tonne sacks that you can buy, roughly 1m cubes without a top, and but the bikes inside the car, far simpler.
  • Bromski
    Bromski Posts: 239
    If you're anywhere near Middlesbrough I have a 3 bike carrier from Halfords looking for a good home
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    I use a Saris RS car rack which, at £170 is a lot for a strap type rack but this works with a ratchet system and so far has been really impressive. Good bit of kit if you have not got a tow bar and carries 3 bikes (although I've only used it for two so far)
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • nicklouse
    just watch out for paint damage.
  • I had a Halfords rack and tbh it was crap - you literally had to spend 30 mins making sure the bikes were safe. The basic straps were crap and I wasn't convinced they would hold so I spent more money on separators - extra straps and foam padding for the tubes (don't want to ruin your nice paint job through rubbing)

it was a nightmare so in the end I bought a bike bag (with integrated wheel bags) and I just stick that in the boot now - sorted! :wink: