Maidstone Routes? - Kent

Bmjboy
Bmjboy Posts: 680
edited December 2008 in MTB rides
Hi All - Helping a friend move to Maidstone the other week, I noticed some muddy fellows cycling up Detling Hill, over the course of the day's trips, I reckon I saw about 3 or 4 groups of MTB'ers - all muddy and looking happy!

Anyone got any scoop on where they had been or what route they are going?

I couldnt really slam the brakes on on the dual carriageway to ask!

If theres a nice local loop around there - It would be great for myself and my now moved mate!

"I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet

Comments

• impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Hi,
    have a look here and here for some pointers towards the Bluebell Hill routes that all those muddy/grinning bikers earn their :P 's from :wink:

Must get up there myself (oo-er)
  • The north downs stretch from Detling accross to the Shell Garage on Bluebell Hill can be good - although at this time of year very very muddy - horses and MX.

Link a ride with the Bridleway down off Bluebell hill into Burham/Eccles,
    Its short but fast.

Ride around halling and cuxton - lots of MX and 4X4 routes though.

Blean Woods - Ive heard good things but never bean.

Bedgebury - about 35-45mins drive from maidstone - near Flimwell on a21 v good

Greensand Hills along Linton/Coxheath/Yalding some nice single descents

Nice slow riding along the river can link some rides.

Just get the OS that covers the area and explore anything with contours - but be prepared to do the leg work - and ride them at different times of the year - as the weather makes a massive differnce in Kent

Or hit maidstone on a sunday night and race the somerfield and stoneborough (showing my age) car parks - up to the top and race down - you will get thrown out - pesky kids on bikes :lol:
  • Bmjboy
    Im aware of the more popular rides in Kent, its just this one is quite close (and free!) and wondered where all the riders are going up Detling.

I've got memory map so will have a tinker with that and see what I can find.

There's no comparison to local knowledge though!

• Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    I must admit I've never seen any MTB'rs on Detling. I ride it a couple of times a week, but on a road bike.

I thought the woods there were inaccessible, I'll have to see if I've got an OS map that covers them, could be some good riding up there if there are any bridleways or Greenlanes going through them :twisted:

Cheers

Chirs :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • The two main (legal) trails are

The North Downs way - at the top of the Hill
    The Pilgrims Way - at the bottom of the Hill
    Whack detling into http://www.streetmap.co.uk

there are a number of connecting routes between the two - which are the good bits - the status of which i wouldnt like to comment on.

The easiest way to navigate fairly safely is to stick to the routes where the horses go - and there are plenty in this area! - it seems safe to assume these are bridelways.

However in this area - if you are polite with all who you meet I have never experienced any anomosity wherever I have ridden.

If you ride up delting hill a couple of times a week on a road bike, you are certainly a lot fitter than me! :)
  • Bmjboy
    Detling Hill "looks" to be a killer, hence why I want to tackle it.

Thanks for your input, I will check out some local maps and try and create a route.

Failing that, next time I see some muddy funsters, I'll just stop and ask!!

• Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    The two main (legal) trails are

The North Downs way - at the top of the Hill
    The Pilgrims Way - at the bottom of the Hill
    Whack detling into http://www.streetmap.co.uk

there are a number of connecting routes between the two - which are the good bits - the status of which i wouldnt like to comment on.

The easiest way to navigate fairly safely is to stick to the routes where the horses go - and there are plenty in this area! - it seems safe to assume these are bridelways.

However in this area - if you are polite with all who you meet I have never experienced any anomosity wherever I have ridden.

Thanks buddy, I'll look into that, sounds promising 8)

If you ride up delting hill a couple of times a week on a road bike, you are certainly a lot fitter than me!

I wish :oops: , people can hear me wheezing in Manchester when I'm doing it :lol::lol:

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • Weds
    Weds Posts: 9
    Bmjboy wrote:
    Hi All - Helping a friend move to Maidstone the other week, I noticed some muddy fellows cycling up Detling Hill, over the course of the day's trips, I reckon I saw about 3 or 4 groups of MTB'ers - all muddy and looking happy!

Anyone got any scoop on where they had been or what route they are going?

I couldnt really slam the brakes on on the dual carriageway to ask!

If theres a nice local loop around there - It would be great for myself and my now moved mate!

We ride quite a bit around Bluebell Hill and Detling

check out www.mccoffroad.co.uk for rides every Sunday throughout the year