Truvativ Elita Cranks

bigdawg
bigdawg Posts: 672
edited December 2007 in Workshop
Got these on my cx bike, I know they're not top of the range but after 2 muddy rides there's a lot of resistance when I turn the crank, doesnt spin freely.

What have I got to do to get them spinning again, is it just a case of undoing thme greesing them and sticking them back togther???
dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....

Comments

• I have these cranks (at least a variation of them) on my Pomp. I've found that the cranks don't spin freely, even after they're 'run in'. You also have to make sure that the left crank is installed in accordance Truvativ's instructions - otherwise it falls off (as I found out to my cost)!

If the cranks are only two rides old I would be inclined to get back to the supplier to see if there are any deeper routed issues.

Cheers
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    ditto what rustychaincp said.
    Having had my pompino for over a year, and being ridden almost every day, they still do not spin freely. However they're still on the original bearings, which has to be a good thing!
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    sorry it wasnt it's second ride it was its second real muddy ride... Ive been riding the bike since July, I guess ive only just noticed how 'unspinny' the cranks are....

Do you know if the BB cups are compatible with others, ie could I grab a set of Ultegra cups and use those???
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • bigdawg wrote:
    sorry it wasnt it's second ride it was its second real muddy ride... Ive been riding the bike since July, I guess ive only just noticed how 'unspinny' the cranks are....

Do you know if the BB cups are compatible with others, ie could I grab a set of Ultegra cups and use those???

also a pomp/elita owner. I faffed and fiddled with the cranks and should have just gone straight to my last ditch solution as it's the only satisfactory one:

Switched to a Messenger and a old school cartridge BB. job done; you shouldn't be worrying about your cranks!
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Pooter
    Pooter Posts: 68
    I had a Truv Elita on my Kinesis. Within six months the bottom bracket (truvativ powerspline) has seized and rusted up, becoming unrideable. From the research i did, the only compatible bb seemed to be another Powerspline, which i didn't want again, so I replaced the bb and chainset with a different make.
  • Has anyone bought or tried out any of the new Trek 2008 1.7 or 1.8? I'm after a new road bike as my work have signed up to cyclescheme but the top end of my budget would be £1000 as that is the most that the scheme allows (you can of course add on extra if you want of your own money)

I'm aware of course that the best bike for me is ultimately the one that fits best rather than one brand being "better" than the other but in terms of value for money has anyone got any advice on the £750 - £1000 price range? I currently have an Edison cyclocross that someone kindly gave to me and it has a great strong steel frame which probably is more durable than a lot of £1000 new bikes but I'm entering the world of sportives soon and think a new bike may be in order.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Total hijack, but a cross bike would be fine for sportives if it fits you. If there are some issues, try hiking the stem height before spending money on new stuff :)
  • Yeah sorry for jumping onto someone else's thread there I'm new to the site and thought that I was posting a new topic rather than elbowing into an existing one.

All in all the problem just seems to be getting the time to try out new bikes.....I know I have to try before I buy but that's easier said than done, expecially when Inever have enough in my account to put down as deposit before they let me take the bike out!