Waterproof trousers

heathrow86
heathrow86 Posts: 228
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
I suppose this belongs in the commuter section but can anyone recommend waterproof trousers for my cycle to work. I usuually change at work any way, plus do they come with narrow ankles so that they don't catch on the chainrings. I was looking at the Altura trousers.

Comments

• i bought some montane velocity dt overtrousers in the summe but can't comment as i have not yet needed to use them; i am posting in order to mention that they do stuff down into a small sac, about size of an orange and have velcroed ankles. from reading past posts there is generally little enthusiasm for overtrousers most people report wet inside from sweating, and propose some sort of rain- resistant trousers; i suggest to try putting overtrousers in the search box and see if there are old posts
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Agree with above. I bought some decent Endura ones - only used them once, now sitting in a draw. Thermal tights are the way forward.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    Hi there,

how long is your commute?

I have these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11429

Which are superb, as per the 2nd post, or similar I think, as in have a stuff sac the size of an apple - very very light, feels like parachute material, I've never had any problem with getting hot in them, as they are so thin.

Only sold as water resistant, but have stood up to some good rain storms for me.

I'm pretty sure they have velcro around the lower leg, so you can tighten them so they don't flap around - I can check tonight if your interested?

I also have these (Which alas are no longer available):http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?W=0&Manufacturer=&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=&ProdID=5360009450&UberCat=0

But you might see similar elsewhere - far more substantial than the Montanes, and you do know your wearing them, on the plus side they are warmer (Good for winter) and feel more sturdy, but on the plus side they are a bit more restrictive.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    If you change at work, why use overtrousers?
    I have a pair of Endura Stealth longs that are superb, and sold as being waterproof.
    Have nice amount of reflectives, zips at the ankles, and a roubaix style liner.
  • heathrow86 wrote:
    I suppose this belongs in the commuter section but can anyone recommend waterproof trousers for my cycle to work. I usuually change at work any way, plus do they come with narrow ankles so that they don't catch on the chainrings. I was looking at the Altura trousers.

If you're not bothered how you look:

http://www.ebrookes.co.uk/index.php?f=i ... p&p=100562

I used them to cycle to Brussels mostly in rain. No leaks, no condensation. Made for walkers but they suit me just fine.
    Old bikes are better
  • i'm commuting about 5 miles each way three times a week. for a wet country i'm surprised how rarely i've needed protection for my legs. light drizzly rain i ignore and the trousers dry quickly when i've arrived . neverthetheless if it looks like rain or it is forecast i always feel better for having overtrousers and i think they are essential for touring when you might be in prolonged rain: even if you are wet with sweat inside they will keep you warm unlike wet trousers. if it's just a short commute you'll be ok with showerproof trousers and if work requires something smarter then keep a pair there. if you are thinking of touring as well then get overtrousers.