BHF First Bike Ride London to South Coast Off Road 2008

Bmjboy
Bmjboy Posts: 680
edited December 2007 in MTB rides
Hi All - My first post in a long time!

Planning on putting myself to the test in 2008 to get my fitness up and generally get out more!

Anyone know anything about this new charity ride by the British Heart Foundation?

http://www.bhf.org.uk/get_involved/take_part_in_our_events/event_display.aspx?e=3108

Looks like its going to be tough, but wondering if the keen amatuer could tackle such a thing?

85 Miles Off Road. from Caterham to Brighton

Whos up for it? Thoughts?

"I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet

Comments

• Sounds like fun.
    Did the standard London to Brighton last year, which was good to do but horrificly busy. Numpties always seemed to think the middle of the road was the best place to just stop, get off their bike and walking everytime they came to a hill. Made it very hard to keep going sometimes. :cry:

Doing it off road sounds a much better day out, especially if they are limiting numbers. Not sure I could garrantee fitness between now and then, but I'd be up for the year after if they repeat it.

As to whether you'd need to be a pro to do it, of course not. It's highly unlikely to be anything particularly gnarly, most will be bridleway I'd imagine. Just get some time in the saddle and start getting some longer distances done, preferably with a little weight on your back or in the panniers/packs. I don't suppose there will be quite as many support stations along the way as the road version.

Go for it! :lol:
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • Bmjboy
    You're probably right Big Southern Jesse, it shouldnt be for mental off-roaders particularly. Although I think the BHF do hold some more tougher events.

I also did the standard L2B this year, and made the mistake of leaving at the 8am slot - which meant I spent most of the day standing still! I only had to walk up the Beacon, so my fitness was OK generally, I can live with that.

I'll be putting myself and a few mates in for it then- which will give me a good kick up the backside to get in shape for it.

I will use the normal L2B 2008 as a warm up!!

As for the stopping stations, we didnt use any, as we took all our own drinks/food (luckily!)

• Sounds like a laugh, I'm over 40 and do 10-15 miles three times a week do you think its too much or will be mainly serious competitive people ? i 'd have the summer to step up my mileage
  • Bmjboy
    I would suggest upping the mileage a bit and tackling some good hills. Maybe you could do the same mileage but in 2 sessions?

For my training for the L2B this year, I simply did just that, and I am overweight.

Im only going by experience in getting fitter, and Im in no way an expert.

There was some VERY old people, and a lot of VERY unfit people doing the normal L2B - and they where finishing OK.

Im assuming all BHF events are the same - take it at your own pace and enjoy it. Its never a race.

For training for 2008, I'm going to get the miles in (about 50 a week) and try some more off-road at Bedgebury in Kent.

I will do both of those events in 2008 - simply to keep me focussed on getting fit and losing weight.

• just met a bloke who is about 60 and done the cairo to capetown run last year so i thought what the hell ! :lol: put my name down for when the details/form comes out
  • Cheers Bmjboy, just sent off an email to get more details. :P

You're to blame when I keel over as I hit the south downs sometime next summer!

The real entertainment of the L2B was seeing everone out enjoying the ride and having fun. My best memory is probably of a lovely lass of about 25, dressed in a nice summer dress, sandals and a straw hat, cycling a fairly old step-through, 3 speed sit up and beg, complete with the wicker basket. If I remember rightly, she had her lunch in a Laura Ashley bag on the handlebars!

The joy was watching her virtually float uphill, whilst all around her overweight city blokes were pushing a grands-worth of Marin or similar up the road, sweating through all their branded clothing.

I'm afraid I always get a certain amount of entertainment from the "all the gear and no idea" type crowd. But it's always a little sad too.

Then again, I'll be fair, and congratulate them for getting out there and raising some money for charity. Just do a couple of training rides next year boys! :lol:
  • Bmjboy
    Yes it was a good day, my main memory was a young 20yr old babe all in lycra which was a tad see-through - for some reason we stayed behind her some time - So thanks to her for setting the pace!

I also remember one guy with 1 leg riding along, with this artificial leg strapped to a pannier - hats off to the guy! Just goes to show what can be achieved, everyone who passed him wished him well, which is good to see.

Ive emailed the address on the BHF page for the off-road event, yet to hear anything.

• Bmjboy
    Just had this reply via email from the British Heart Foundation:

"The full information about this event is not yet available, but I can add you to an enquirers list.

The info that I can however give you so far is that this is an “endurance” bike ride, which will be mostly off road, so will be a challenge, but with the correct training, I don’t see why it would not be achievable for anyone who was in alright condition, I would say that if you had any questions about your health, I would advise asking your GP for his/her opinion.

It will be a challenge, but if that’s what you would like, I cant see why you wouldn’t be able to take part."

Sod it - lets do it!

• Bmjboy wrote:
    Sod it - lets do it!
    Well said that man! :D
    Yep, after a quick round robin of messages with mates not on this forum, there's a group of 4 of us doing the road L2B, and at least 2 of us will try to get places for the off road route.