How to handle those who miss out of season tests

deejay.
deejay. Posts: 665
edited December 2007 in Pro race
Having watched this year's Tour, and being so disappointed at the maintained level of doping in the sport, I would like to suggest a fair and equitable way to address the issue of missing out of season drugs tests (though this may be too fair and equitable) such as the issue with Rasmussen:

Missing one test (out of season or otherwise):
Rider A misses one drugs test. It is found that there are no extenuating circumstances involved, so Rider A could/should have been able to take the test. Rider A is banned for one race. WADA/UCI/National governing body chooses which race Rider A is banned from.

Missing two tests in total (irrespective of governing body):
Banned for one year. Forfeits salary for one year. Sponsor has clawback clause in contract to allow them to recover Rider A's salary and expenses for the period of the ban. Lifetime ban from the Olympic Games.

Missing three or more tests (irrespective of governing body) in total:
Banned for 3-5 years. Lifetime ban from the OG and WC. Salary forfeit and clawback as above if appropriate.

I'd also like to see Team Managers paid for the number of riders they manage/penalised for doping in their team. If the rider count goes down as a result of doping, the TM gets paid less...Might seem unbalanced, it's just an idea at the moment, but something is necessary to focus the minds of athletes on out of season testing, and to focus the minds of TMs on their riders, rather than the existing abdication of responsibility we seem to be seeing.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

deej
He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...

Comments

• TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    Any thoughts?

Yep, you assume that everyone will sign up to morals over money....
  • Missing two tests in total (irrespective of governing body):
    Banned for one year. Forfeits salary for one year. Sponsor has clawback clause in contract to allow them to recover Rider A's salary and expenses for the period of the ban. Lifetime ban from the Olympic Games

A well thought out plan deejay, but Id like to point out that a lifetime ban from the olympics would mean nothing to most pro cyclists. The olympic Roadrace or TT is not the pinnacle of a pro cyclists career insofar as being olympic champion dosent earn them lots more money, whereas lets say, winning the Tour almost makes them financially secure due to improved contracts, appearance money etc.
    Im not trying to pick holes in your plan, anyone who has read any of my previous postings would be in no doubt about my view on doping. But i would ask you this.
    Is it acceptable or excusable to miss one test. Well possibly, as everyone can make a mistake.
    But missing two tests.........
    We have to remember that these guys are not recreational cyclists. They are professionals who make their living at this, and have people employed by their teams to look after everything from what they eat to collecting their bags from their hotel rooms, so is it acceptable that they could make the same mistake twice. I dont think so.
    So how about this. If youre caught doping youre banned for life. End of discussion. No appeal process, no possiblity of you ever racing again wheter it be as a pro or a Cat 4 amateur. Im not saying it would fix the problem, but as everthing else our sport tries in relation to doping seems to fail, why not give it a go
  • ok so that was my first time to try to include a quote..........and it went horribly wrong :D
  • Professional cyclists will always take the risk when it comes to taking drugs regardless of the testing procedures and penalties in place.

This is their day to day employment. Its paying the rent and bills and looking after their family.

They must be fit and ready for work whether it be the 6 hour training rides or chasing down breaks for their team leader. They will do everything to survive because its about getting paid and not having to do a sh it job and this is what outweighs the risk of getting caught.
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    apparently do nothing anymore and let them off..:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/7112577.stm

WADA were fully behind her being let off, and now shes up for sports personality of the year :shock: What kind of message is that to anyone..?? :?
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    IMO it would be far better to hold the manager responsible for ensuring that all his riders attend for drug tests as and when requested. It should be wriiten into every cyclists contract that failure to attend for a drug test would result in instant dismissal and forfeit of salary.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura