Winter layering

woodgob
woodgob Posts: 96
edited December 2007 in Health, fitness & training
I am having difficulty sorting-out my layering system. I'm pretty fit and I produce a LOT of moisture which I guess is normal for high intensity riding on the South Downs but I do seem to sweat a lot more than my buddies. This leaves me with a problem. The base layer (I use three alternately - Helly Hansen LIFA, Berghaus techincal T and Nike Sphere) gets very wet, very quickly so I get cold very quickly - especially in exposed windy areas of the South Downs. I found this out to my cost on this years SDW Challenge. If I add my waterproof shell to keep the wind at bay the moisture clings to the inside of the jacket and compounds the problem. The jacket is a good breathable lightweight jacket (North Face Diad) but it cannot cope with my moisture production even with the mini-pit vents open. I need a solution that does not involve lots of extra clothes in my pack. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Try a merino wool base layer. They are expensive but I have found them to be the best (I particularly like the Howies ones, but that's just personal preferance). You could also try a wind proof mid-layer (such as the Gore Phantom windstopper jersey) this has a full length zip and zip off sleeves, then you would only need the waterproof when it was raining. In my expeerience it generally holds that the more waterproof something is the less well it lets moisture out, so for someone like you who is producing more moisture you want to avoid anything waterproof unless it is actually raining.

An alternative system might be a base layer, gilet and arm warmers???
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • I get very warm, and sweat like a bastard aswell, so I try to wear as little as possible. At the moment i'm pretty comfortable with a tight wicking base layer thingy (long sleeved) with an ordinary jersey over the top. Once I get going i'm fine. Might have to get a long sleeved jersey aswell once it gets a bit colder.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • woodgob
    woodgob Posts: 96
    Thanks for advice re; Gore Phantom. Been looking for one most of the day - seems they are hard to come by now. I guess that speaks volumes about the product. I'll be gunning for one now and the more I think about it and read reviews of this jersey, the more it makes sense for a damp one such as myself.
  • Nice to hear the Gore Phantom is a good jacket Dr Death.... :lol:

I have just ordered the ladies version from my local bike shop - should get it next week. Pricey at £85 but if it keeps me warm and comfortable what the hey.... I didnt want a waterproof layer as I didnt want the sweatiness factor..... although one of the guys at the shop said it keeps the rain out for an hour or so..... :?:

nic
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Gilet all the way, I have a couple from rowing and they are the best thing for sweaty people, you can use your arms like radiators but keep the chill off your torso. I think the main issue with long sleeve waterproofing is that there is not really anywhere for your body to get rid of heat build up, so just a thin layer on the arms normally works for me.
  • I have now had two weeks use of the Gore Phantom and I have to say it's probably the best bike clothing purchase I have ever made. The Windstopper fabric is the bomb and essential down here on the South Coast. And zipping off the sleeves is perfect for preventing overheating. The last couple of mornings have been very cold and the Phantom does a great job of keeping me warm on the ride to work.
    Thanks again Dr Death...great tip.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    No problem. I think my phantom is my most used peice of cycling kit. Certainly the best buy. They are pricey but definitely worth it.

having said that I have just ordered another Howies merino base layer (second best piece of cycle clothing)
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I used to wear 3 or 4 layers to keep warm and of course resulted in sweating, especially with an outer shell on as well.

I then bought an Assos Powerplus base layer (with silver fibres doncha know!) for insulation and wear it with the Assos Element One jersey and that's it. Two layers. And it's warmer.

I'm not saying you have to go out and buy Assos to get the results you want, what I am saying is get yourself a good INSULATING base layer and a decent jacket (I've had a N2S Gore Phantom and they're very good) and you should be ok in colder weather.

A case of less is more, you could say. Hope this helps.