Cycling computers

Roger Davies
Roger Davies Posts: 305
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Anyone know one that works in Miles? Those I look at all seem to work in Km's. Also your opinion as to which are the most useful would be a great help. Thanks.

RD
Old bikes are better

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Most work in mph and kph. Just need to know how to swap from one to the other.

Polar CS100/200 work in miles.
    Rich
  • Anyone know one that works in Miles? Those I look at all seem to work in Km's. Also your opinion as to which are the most useful would be a great help. Thanks.

RD

I have a cat eye enduro 2 which works in both formats but bizarrely around the time format. Set in 24 hour clock mode you get KPH and 12 hour clock mode MPH.

The earth is your limit as too how much you want to spend and what it can do.

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I have the Cateye Strada and it does all I want of it (in km and mph!):

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_listing/51

If you are fitting a computer to a bike with front suspension, then you would be advised to buy wireless. If you have fixed forks, I recommend a wired version because you will get less interference from traffic light sensors, speed cameras, etc.
  • My crappy £6.97 wired one from tescos does mph.
  • I'd be surprised if any cycle computer sold in the UK, Europe or the USA couldn't be changed between mph and kmh by an option.

Cateye computers allow you to swap between the two.

Dunedin
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I bought one from the Lidl some time ago it has mph or kmh and a pulse monitor, it is wireless and easy to install and the best is it cost less than 20 quid.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. Yep..they all have the option of miles.

Cheers
    RD
    Old bikes are better
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I have a cat eye enduro 2 which works in both formats but bizarrely around the time format. Set in 24 hour clock mode you get KPH and 12 hour clock mode MPH.

My Sigma is the same 24H in KPH and 12H in MPH but I want MPH in 24H :x
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • My crappy £6.97 wired one from tescos does mph.

I love my tesco computer, c'est tres bien!
  • I use the Decathlon own brand 'puters on both my bikes, fantastic for the price (like most Decathlon stuff - and no, I don't work there or own shares!)
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • redvee wrote:

My Sigma is the same 24H in KPH and 12H in MPH but I want MPH in 24H :x

It is because Americans Use MPH, but can't use a 24H clock and Europeans use KM and prefer the 24 hour clock.

We Brits like to screw it all up by using miles, 12 hour and 24 hour clocks and the metric system all at the same time.....I personally think it makes us more open minded!

Unfortunately the products are designed for either/or, not for us open minded adopters of all standards.....
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I have one from ASDA, less than £7. Does miles and killometers and seems to work ok.