Even bigger lorries set for the roads?

nwallace
nwallace Posts: 1,465
edited December 2007 in Campaign
Got this from another forum I visit, as much as I like the thought of less lorries on the road, the risks these vehicles will pose due to other road users failing to understand the geometrical needs of a turning double artic scare me. And I would much rather see even longer lorries running on rails as far as possible. Call them Class 67s with Intermodal wagons if you must,.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 943573.ece

Quote:
They are 24ft longer than a bendy bus, as heavy as a fully-armoured Challenger 2 tank and could be coming to a road near you next year.

The 60-tonne superlorry is the road-haulage industry’s latest plan to reduce costs by squeezing 60 per cent more goods onto one vehicle.

Drivers will be advised to stay well clear of them on roundabouts and to take care when overtaking because it will take more time – at least a fifth longer – to complete the manoeuvre.

The cab drags two trailers, each of which swivels on a pivot and sweeps out into the next lane when turning.

The Government is considering allowing a trial of several hundred of the LHVs – longer, heavier vehicles.

A study commissioned by the Department for Transport has found that LHVs would deliver significant benefits in terms of lower costs and carbon dioxide emissions without compromising road safety, The Times has learnt.
Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days

Comments

• The haulage industry is in two minds about them, their only real use would be trunking goods, largely along motorways.
    If it means some drivers actually think more before entering a roundabout or trying to pass something, then there's probably a role for them!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • 85 tonne trucks have been on the road in other parts of the world for over 10 years often refered to as B Doubles. Usually used for long haul on major routes not in towns etc.

Seeing trucks are restricted to 60mph on motorways the longer they are the better there will be less of them pulling out into the middle lane
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's true.
    They'll just stay there. :lol:
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    and the reason i drive in the right hand lane in a mini bus near leicster is because there are 'tram lines' in the other two lanes that cause the back end to kick out, which at 70mph isnt good.

if trucks heavy as they are now cause dammage to roads that affect other vehicles and its not repaired, then why the badger are they thinking of letting heavier vehicles on the roads?
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I saw a report on these and they really are frighteningly long. I reallly wouldn't want to ride on any road where these were used - I take the point they aren't likely to turn up on your local residential street but if they were going to be allowed on anything other than dual carriageways and motorways (and I have no idea if such a restriction is possible given they have to load and unload) then I can't imagine they are safe - though it'd be interesting to see what the experience is where they are allowed.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • This type of truck (& bigger) are allowed in Aus. Here they are known as B trains or B Doubles. They are allowed on interstate hwys & limited local roads, in & out of commercial areas, but the roads here are more suited to this type of vehicle.

The scary bit from a cyclist pov is the quietness as the last trailer passes you.