Welsh Sports Personality 2007

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited December 2007 in The bottom bracket
Geraint Thomas is one of the 5.....gets my vote.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,096
    Presumably Joe Calzaghe will win it at a canter?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's shame James Hook isn't there, he definitely deserves it more than that unknown female golfer.

Ryan Giggs retired from playing for Wales - he ain't done anything special

Can't say anything about the boxers as they've done a lot.

Geraint Thomas, hmm, he hasn't done much yet.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Boxing is not my favourite sport,but in my humble opinion, Joe Calzaghe should be THE sports personality of the year,let alone the Welsh one.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • It's shame James Hook isn't there, he definitely deserves it more than that unknown female golfer.

Ryan Giggs retired from playing for Wales - he ain't done anything special

Can't say anything about the boxers as they've done a lot.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/to ... omas_pre07

I agree that Calzaghe is probably more deserving of the title than any others...except he has already won it before..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/wales/6157171.stm
  • redddraggon

He hasn't done anything the majority of the Welsh public would appreciate though. I'm not aying he hasn't worked hard.

How come Nicole Cooke wasn't an option either if they had to have a women? She is definitely one of the best in the world at her sport, rather than some random golfer.

Looking at the BBC overall list, I don't think that's good either, whys Christine Ohuruogu who's just come from a ban up for it? Yeh she won the 400m, but she was banned I wouldn't say she'd made up for that until she's got the Olympic gold she fought to be allowed to compete for.

And Golf....well that's a good walk spoiled.

Wilkinson? He did nothing special really, he played behind a pack that put in the performance. Sheridan perhaps would have been a better candidate, but then again he's not as high profile as Jonny.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_ ... 096040.stm

James McFadden appears quite a lot, I wouldn't have mind him being on the final list.

Definitely an English biased list
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Nicole Cooke has won the Welsh award twice before, so she's hardly neglected. And she hasn't had a stellar year by her standards.

Calzaghe will walk the Welsh award and Lewis Hamilton will main the main one just as easily.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    [Ann Robinson mode] Its rare to hear the words "Welsh" & "personality" in the same sentence[/Ann Robinson mode]
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Has to be Calzaghe for me too. I agree with the earlier comment about Giggs. To be fair he retired and how many games has he dropped out off for Wales because 'Fergie' told him too!?!?!
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    spen666 wrote:
    [Ann Robinson mode] Its rare to hear the words "Welsh" & "personality" in the same sentence[/Ann Robinson mode]

If you wish to insult the Welsh people at least have the guts to do so without hiding behind an old woman's skirt. :cry:

He hasn't done anything the majority of the Welsh public would appreciate though. I'm not aying he hasn't worked hard.

How come Nicole Cooke wasn't an option either if they had to have a women? She is definitely one of the best in the world at her sport, rather than some random golfer.

Looking at the BBC overall list, I don't think that's good either, whys Christine Ohuruogu who's just come from a ban up for it? Yeh she won the 400m, but she was banned I wouldn't say she'd made up for that until she's got the Olympic gold she fought to be allowed to compete for.

Wilkinson? He did nothing special really, he played behind a pack that put in the performance. Sheridan perhaps would have been a better candidate, but then again he's not as high profile as Jonny.

James McFadden appears quite a lot, I wouldn't have mind him being on the final list.

You're referring to the BBC sports personality of the Year, I was to the WELSH one....all of the contenders are erm Welsh in this one. I cant be bothered with the national one, since its obvious Lewis Hamilton will win it.

No cyclist has much of a profile in the public's eye, be it Welsh, or English....so Thomas has as much (or lttile) chance as any other cyclist.
  • redddraggon

You're referring to the BBC sports personality of the Year
    , I was to the WELSH one....all of the contenders are erm Welsh in this one. I cant be bothered with the national one, since its obvious Lewis Hamilton will win it.

No cyclist has much of a profile in the public's eye, be it Welsh, or English....so Thomas has as much (or lttile) chance as any other cyclist.

I was originally referring to the Welsh list and about some of the dodgy choices, and then went on to further say that the Overall list isn't much better.

If you read my original post it talks exclusively of the Welsh list.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • spen666
    whitley wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

If you wish to insult the Welsh people at least have the guts to do so without hiding behind an old woman's skirt. :cry:

Who is hiding behind anyone's skirt

Perhaps someone has had a sense of humour bypass.
    Perhaps someone has forgotten the trouble Ms Robinson got into with the police re remarks re the welsh

Perhaps someone is missing out the fact that I am of Welsh origin- and have the ability to poke fun at my own kind

Twittering @spen_666
  • Anonymous
    spen666 wrote:
    whitley wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Perhaps someone has forgotten the trouble Ms Robinson got into with the police re remarks re the welsh

Perhaps someone is missing out the fact that I am of Welsh origin- and have the ability to poke fun at my own kind

[Bernard Manning mode ] " Then bog off yer Welsh git " [ Bernard Manning mode]
  • spen666
    whitley wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    whitley wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

such cutting wit

Twittering @spen_666
  • Anonymous
    spen666 wrote:
    whitley wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    whitley wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

such cutting wit

Leaving aside the fact that you haven't yet got the hang of the reply function,despite your indicative post count,might I just point out that my comment wasn't meant to be "witty".
    Merely illustrating that adopting another's persona is no excuse for rudeness.
    Perhaps a little too subtle for you?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,096
    That's unlike you whitley, you don't normally hide your rudeness behind anyone! :wink:
  • Anonymous
    I wasn't, nor will I ever.
    Try reading the posts yer mumpty. :)
  • Don't you mean numpty... :wink: Some of us can speak proper Queen's Welsh you know.... :D
  • What about Mr Charlotte Church? :lol:
    Isn't he on the list?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.