Another cycle to work thread......

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Apologies for another Cycle to work thread (I did a search with the keywords but it came back with loads of unrelated results!!).

I've been asked at work to investigate cycle to work. I've got the info pack from DfT, so now I'm looking at providers.

Am I right in thinking as a company you join a scheme that ties you in with a specific retailer? If that is the case which retailer can people recommend as providing a good service/range of bikes?

Our company is in MK (but we also have people who are London based), we have Evans, Halfrauds and a couple of independents locally. Or should I be looking at online retailers (although I have a problem with this as people won't be able to try their bike out)?

Comments

• Hi Hammerite

It has been mentioned that you can buy any bike through the Halfords scheme (Planet X included). However Halfords service can be rather hit and miss. If it is a particular Halfords store you would be using I would ask around on the forum to see how other forumites have been treated there. I would also get in writing that you can indeed buy any bike through the Halfords scheme. I'm not sure about other sellers (Evans etc.).

Carl.
  • hammerite
    Thanks carl.
  • Bec_M
    Bec_M Posts: 10
    If you phone/email Halfords up they will provide you with a list of all bike manufacturers they can supply.

Depending on your part of country and I think how close your are to a Halfords they also have some agreements with certain independent bike shops - London is an area where this is set up.

If you need any more info let me know. As I have just got my work to set up after alot of ummiing and arrhhhing.
  • hammerite wrote:
    Apologies for another Cycle to work thread (I did a search with the keywords but it came back with loads of unrelated results!!).

I've been asked at work to investigate cycle to work. I've got the info pack from DfT, so now I'm looking at providers.

Am I right in thinking as a company you join a scheme that ties you in with a specific retailer? If that is the case which retailer can people recommend as providing a good service/range of bikes?

Our company is in MK (but we also have people who are London based), we have Evans, Halfrauds and a couple of independents locally. Or should I be looking at online retailers (although I have a problem with this as people won't be able to try their bike out)?

Get it thru CYCLESCHEME then your staff can CHOOSE their retailer. Evans and Halfords tie you in to their bikes ONLY despite what they say.

Cycleschem is thru any local store not just the big guys.

More info www.,cyclescheme.co.uk
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    My employer (the local NHS hospital trust, check my location) is being crap with the bike to work scheme, I've got my eye on the £600ish Spec Allez but every time I get on to my employers about using the scheme they give some bull about looking into the details. Currently they have spent the last 12 months investigating whether it will affect the pension scheme :evil: :evil: :evil: grr. Think yourself lucky that your company is willing to do it at all.
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • paulorg wrote:
    My employer (the local NHS hospital trust, check my location) is being crap with the bike to work scheme, I've got my eye on the £600ish Spec Allez but every time I get on to my employers about using the scheme they give some bull about looking into the details. Currently they have spent the last 12 months investigating whether it will affect the pension scheme :evil: :evil: :evil: grr. Think yourself lucky that your company is willing to do it at all.

Do you have any idea how it would affect your pension scheme? Get your union on the case to chase them up and find out what the problem is............if there is one.

If you want I could send you a pdf file of our staff leaflet which shows a small selection of bikes available and the cost, a Specialized Allez is on this leaflet and would cost just over £4 per week if you are a lower rate tax payer. PM me with an email address and I will send you the info.

To the OP, our company used wheelies direct for their scheme, they can supply any bike, not just ones on their website.
    Tarpaullynn
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It affects pension schemes slightly because your gross pay is less (as it is a salary sacrifice) and pension contributions are a percentage of the gross pay - but the effect over 1 year would be small. However, in the case of the NHS, you should have a final salary scheme so your pension is determined by number of years service (you get up to 40/80ths of final salary if you have 40 years of contributions) rather than actual amounts paid in. Only complete lost months of contributions (e.g. periods of unemployment, unpaid leave) would have an affect.

One thing to note is that for organisations that cannot reclaim the VAT, the savings on Cyclescheme are a bit less (I think the NHS falls into this category), or of course you could work for a rogue employer that decides to pocket the VAT themselves! :twisted:
  • hammerite
    In your experience what is the take up of the cycle to work scheme like amongst employess who do not currently cycle?

Obviously for us that are interested/enjoy cycling it's a good way of getting a subsidised new bike! But have you found others within your companies have taken up the chance to get a new bike, then actually used the bike to get to work on?

Also what sort of value bikes have those not currently interested in cycling opted for? I'm aware that the lbs on cyclescheme tends to stock bikes for the enthusiast/top end rather than entry level. I would imagine that a lot of people here would worry about spending more than £250 on a bike (not because they can't afford it but because they probably can't understand justifying a bike that is any better/more expensive!).
  • Bec_M
    Bec_M Posts: 10
    When I first put the word out at work 15 people came back to say they would be interested. But when it came to the actual scheme launch only 4 of us have signed up. Two of us are cyclists already (well MTBikers) so a good reason to get a road bike at a cheaper price but also a more suitable bike to commute in on. The other 2 are completely new to cycling and want to do it as they are fed up of their commute into work (stuck in traffic), and a good way to get fit.

We are just waiting for our Halfords vouchers to arrive - but none of us are ordering Halfords bikes - Specialize, Bianchi, Trek and a LeMond all Special Purchases and Halfords don't have a problem with this as we have checked and double checked with them.

They have all gone for £1000 voucher, Initially the non-cyclists thought this was too much but by the time they worked out the saving and what spec of bike they could get - £1000 was the only option.
  • ...and you can really get a Planet-X through this eh?!!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Planet-X state they work with the Halfords scheme on this web page.
  • The employer saves money as well because they don't pay emplyee NI contributions and in the case of the NHS the employer superannuation costs (14%) on the amount of salary sacrifice.
    My Trust has over 100 staff who have participated in the scheme, saving both themselves and the Trust quite a bit of cash.
    Cyclescheme arranged all the paperwork and allow a wide choice of shops.
  • JKO
    JKO Posts: 29
    Planet X bikes can definately be purchased through Halfords. Mine arrived last week and the Halfords office was very helpful. Bike was delivered direct to me well packaged and only needed to turn handlebars in order to set up. Unfortunately due to the weather and work since delivery, I have not had the chance to go for a ride.

Very much looking forward to tomorrow !!!!
  • Hammerite send me an email to howard.johnson8@btinternet.com and i can give you all the info my company has on this as we hae just signed up and you can use any bike shop.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • hello
  • We went to Good Evans. Large choice, crap service.

Really easy to do. If you can read then it's a sinch. I got a cracking bike which I'm paying just over a third of its original value!!

Halfords say they can get any bike. Which, maybe they can?

I found Edinburgh Cycles to be the best service but had limited choice. Alas, Evans got the nod.

Look at what I got.......... http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70566 tis a thing of beauty :D
  • Hammerite. Lot of guys that i work with bought bikes through the scheme even though they don't normally cycle any where.I suppose it depends of the max. spend your employer imposes. Ours was 1000, and some guys (myself included) paid the extra cash as a deposit(.in some cases 1200 deposit) , but push your employer to get the best deal you can . :)
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg