What bike? - criterium racing

stevedarcy
stevedarcy Posts: 7
edited November 2007 in Workshop
Looking for some experiences on race bikes for criterium / circuit races and possibly the occasional sportive. Key requirements are:

- Full carbon monocoque frame (I have been spoiled by riding an Isaac Pascal)
- Chorus or Record group
- Not too bothered about wheels (I'll use some deep section wheels for racing), but must be OK for training
- Happy to spend up to £2000 but would prefer to spend £1700

I'll happily go for a build-up rather than an off the shelf manufacturers spec. So far I have considered:

- Wilier Mortirolo 2007 - good prices on this year's stock at cyclesurgery but the frame is not a full monocoque and there is no scope to customise the group or finishing kit.
- Condor Legerro 2008 - can't find a review anywhere and probably about £200 over my price range for a Chorus-equipped bike.

Comments

• Ribble carbon thingy - reviewed in the mag. If you want top end campag then it'll be a cheap frame to get under budget. Probably a good idea as crits are known for crashes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For crit racing you want something that's not going to break your heart if you crash, and pretty durable too. Circuit races require fast handling and a stiff frame - probably the opposite of what you want from a sportive bike tho'. If you're not a badge snob, go for a Ribble or a Focus. Don't buy expensive bars, saddles and pedals either.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ultimate crit bike on the market today is the canyon F10 or F10 alu. Cheap for what it is, light, and stiff as a dog's knob.