Barbarians v South Africa

beckenham
beckenham Posts: 242
edited December 2007 in The bottom bracket
Okay this is just another vehicle for me to boast about how I have tickets for tomorrows game :D but what do you think the score will be?

It would be great to see Robinson go out on a winner :D:D
Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements

Comments

• Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    beckenham wrote:
    It would be great to see Robinson go out on a winner :D:D

While I don't see this type of match as a win or lose for either side, more of an exhibition type game, I can't see this SA side losing to the baa baa's...
    FCN: 4
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    What is the barbarians? Is it like a British Lions type thing? In fact what countries make up the British Lions? (not the biggest rugby fan obviously :oops: )
    I have pain!
  • The Barbarians are an invited team I think whereas the Lions is Britain and Ireland.
  • ivancarlos wrote:
    What is the barbarians? Is it like a British Lions type thing? In fact what countries make up the British Lions? (not the biggest rugby fan obviously :oops: )

They were formed years ago, before even I was born, and are supposed to encourage an exciting expansive style of rugby.

Hopefully they will let Robinson come onto the pitch first on his own. We may even see him score a try. I'm sure the Springboks will let him through. :D:D

Can't wait to see Habana as well :)
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • Well the weather is certainly shaping up so that the kicking game wont be too effective tomorrow.

Despite on being a recent convert to the oval shaped ball game (see my "Football is dying" thread elsewhere), I can see the beauty and excitement of the game being played at speed with the ball through the hands.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Despite on being a recent convert to the oval shaped ball game (see my "Football is dying" thread elsewhere), I can see the beauty and excitement of the game being played at speed with the ball through the hands.

I like the attitude and lack of histrionics compared to the beautiful game but it just isn't, erm...beautiful.
    I have pain!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    The Barbarians are brilliant. Playing against them isn't as big as it used to be, but I like to think professional rugby can keep the tradition going. After all, the greatest try of all time was scored by a Barbarian (90% Welsh, mind):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA

Plus they're called the Barbarians, which is about as cool as it gets.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    ivancarlos wrote:
    I like the attitude and lack of histrionics compared to the beautiful game but it just isn't, erm...beautiful.

Passing, free flowing rugby, "total rugby", is far better than anything football can provide.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    ivancarlos wrote:
    The lions are technically the Great Britain and Irish Lions made up of players from wales, England, Scotland and Ireland ( Ireland rugby is North and South)
    The lions are basically a touring side that tour Austrailia, New Zealand and South Africa evry four years.
    They once played the Barbarians in the UK to celebrate the Queens Jubilee in 1977 I think.
    The Barbarians are basically an invitation team which played International teams, mostly on holidays and special occasions ot end of tours,( HQ used to officialy be in penarth in Wales) made up of players from anywhere. The tradition of the Barbarians is to play very attacking rugby and before used to pick the most attacking and talented players around but the last few years it looks as though they have had to do with who is available :D
    Expect a high scoring game tomorrow !!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The tradition is as the old welsh man says, but an additional quirk is that the barbarians traditionally wear their individual club sides' socks in the game
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The tradition is as the old welsh man says, but an additional quirk is that the barbarians traditionally wear their individual club sides' socks in the game
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,384
    WHAT WHEN WHERE........?!?!?!!?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I'm actually feeling quite narked about the game. Having paid £120 for a pair of tickets on the expectation of seeing some of the great players in action the Baa Baas are fielding a B Team whilst the Boks show up with a C Team.

Out of the top names advertised when I hit the Purchase button only Robinson and Habana are playing. Ho-hum, time to get off to the pub to start the pre-match drinking.....
  • redddraggon
    I'm actually feeling quite narked about the game. Having paid £120 for a pair of tickets on the expectation of seeing some of the great players in action the Baa Baas are fielding a B Team whilst the Boks show up with a C Team.

Out of the top names advertised when I hit the Purchase button only Robinson and Habana are playing. Ho-hum, time to get off to the pub to start the pre-match drinking.....

Baa Baas seem to have a really good team, Joe Rococoko, Martyn Williams, Justin Marshall, Matt Giteau, Conrad Smith, Jerry Collins, Ma'a Nonu, Mark Regan, etc, how are they B team?

And how are the Springboks a C team? Loads of them went to the World Cup
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Barbarians: Jason Robinson (England), Joe Rokocoko (Blues & New Zealand), Conrad Smith (Hurricanes & New Zealand), Ma'a Nonu (Hurricanes & New Zealand), Isoa Neivua (Warriors & Fiji), Matt Giteau (Western Force & Australia), Justin Marshall (Ospreys & New Zealand), Federico Pucciarello (Munster & Italy), Mark Regan (captain, Bristol & England), Salesi Ma'afu (Brumbies), Brent Cockbain (Wales), Justin Harrison (Ulster & Australia), Rocky Elsom (Waratahs & Australia), Martyn Williams (Cardiff & Wales), Jerry Collins (Hurricanes & New Zealand)
    Replacements: Schalk Brits (Stormers), JD Moller (Stormers), Troy Flavell (Blues & New Zealand), Michael Owen (Dragons & Wales), Tom Shanklin (Cardiff & Wales), Peter Grant (Stormers), Ben Cohen (England)

That's one hell of a team, quit moaning! (Although £120 to watch an exhibition match is a tad steep.)
  • redddraggon
    I was expecting the Barbarians to get a hammering, but it turned out to be a really good match.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    I was there too :D

Great game, well it was for me. Not quite so good for my South African friend :wink::lol:

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)