End to Enders

Roger Davies
Roger Davies Posts: 305
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
I'm fascinated by these blokes who do the LEJOG or JOGLE in record times. The more I read the more I find it unbelievable. I mean 834m in 41hrs is about 20mph average. How can any human being keep that speed up over 41hrs. It's surely impossible. Were they cycling behind a vehicle mounted wind break or what?

I'm intending to do it next May but in three weeks thank you very much. I'm hoping at sixty five I'll be the oldest old bugger to do it. Anyone know who the oldest was?
Old bikes are better

Comments

• Cyrenne
    Cyrenne Posts: 184
    Unfortunately, at 65 there'll be loads of people who have completed it at far greater years than yourself. A local fella is well into his 70s did it this summer. After he arrived in JOG he had to ride back to Perth (where he did catch the train for a short hop south) and then another ride from the Borders to Durham!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Were they cycling behind a vehicle mounted wind break or what?

Nope.................but the likes of Andy Wilkinson and Gethin Butler are on a different planet in terms of fitness to the rest of us mere mortals.

Why not try it on a tandem trike as there appears to be no current holder. All you need (apart from the trike) is another nutter to try and beat 3 days 7 hours standard. Now there are loads of nutters on this forum. :lol:
    http://www.rra.org.uk/
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Roger - if you want to know more about how they did it, you must get hold of a copy of a book called "The End to End Story" written by John Taylor who made a couple of (unsuccessful) attempts on the record himself and whose daughter, Lynne, is the current female record holder. There are some pretty graphic descriptions of what they put themselves through in there, and some great insight into just how much organisation and support the attempts need. Lynne herself has broken the record more than once and on a tandem with Andy Wilkinson. I'm not sure whether many people know, but David Duffield, the Eurosport commentator broke the record twice too, on a trike!

Unfortunately the book is only available from Bridgetown Cycles in Cannock (where Lynne works) - but you'll easily find a number for them as they advertise in the cycling magazines very often. I'm sure they'll put one in the post to you if you send them a cheque.

Ruth
  • Bronzie wrote:
    Were they cycling behind a vehicle mounted wind break or what?

Nope.................but the likes of Andy Wilkinson and Gethin Butler are on a different planet in terms of fitness to the rest of us mere mortals.

Why not try it on a tandem trike as there appears to be no current holder. All you need (apart from the trike) is another nutter to try and beat 3 days 7 hours standard. Now there are loads of nutters on this forum. :lol:
    http://www.rra.org.uk/

Cheers for the link. That is so true. I can only think they have two hearts. The other to kick in when needed.
    Old bikes are better
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    Roger - if you want to know more about how they did it, you must get hold of a copy of a book called "The End to End Story" written by John Taylor who made a couple of (unsuccessful) attempts on the record himself and whose daughter, Lynne, is the current female record holder. There are some pretty graphic descriptions of what they put themselves through in there, and some great insight into just how much organisation and support the attempts need. Lynne herself has broken the record more than once and on a tandem with Andy Wilkinson. I'm not sure whether many people know, but David Duffield, the Eurosport commentator broke the record twice too, on a trike!

Unfortunately the book is only available from Bridgetown Cycles in Cannock (where Lynne works) - but you'll easily find a number for them as they advertise in the cycling magazines very often. I'm sure they'll put one in the post to you if you send them a cheque.

Ruth

Thanks Ruth. I'm going to attempt getting a copy.
    Old bikes are better
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    had nothing better to do on a wet sunday afternoon, so looked up phone number for the shop in old cycling weekly mag.Tel no. 01922411180 book was priced at £19.95+ £4.00 p&p last December.Title of the book The end to end story.There is a website but couldn't access the book unfortunatly. But you can try if you wish www.btownbikes.com
  • ash68 wrote:
    had nothing better to do on a wet sunday afternoon, so looked up phone number for the shop in old cycling weekly mag.Tel no. 01922411180 book was priced at £19.95+ £4.00 p&p last December.Title of the book The end to end story.There is a website but couldn't access the book unfortunatly. But you can try if you wish www.btownbikes.com

Thanks Ash. Good on yer.
    Old bikes are better