Chamois less tights

miffed
miffed Posts: 469
edited November 2007 in Workshop
Ive got some really good tights but they dont have a chamois. Is there any advice what to, padded pants? or an extra pair of shorts on top/underneath?

Thanks

j
Puke washes out, Glory lasts forever

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Most tights come without a chamois insert. They should be worn with shorts underneath.
  • miffed
    cool, will try that tommorow
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah shorts underneath. Altho both my winter tights have inserts in. My legs dont get cold so I dont need the two layers.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I have never understood why winter bib tights don't generally come with an insert as I have found wearing shorts underneath your tights is such an uncomfortable solution. Some manufacturers have had the foresight to offer tights with decent inserts in the last couple of years.

Last pair I had, I made sure they came with an insert........
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    It depends on the combination of tights and shorts, but until recently I too never found any shorts/tights combos very comfortable, as you usually end up with several layers of seams in one place, underneath so I used to always go for tights with a pad. Unpadded assos tights coupled with assos shorts seem to do the trick for me though.

The reason you might want tights without a pad is so you can wear them all week (ie. for commuting) and just change the shorts each day, so you don't need to buy so many pairs of tights. Perhaps less of an issue for men but I have to wear clean shorts every day.
  • Use your summer bib shorts, don't bother with the padded underwear on the market a waste of money if you already have shorts.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I wear my Endura fleecey tights just as they are. No chamois, no problem. I've done 60 mile rides like that and not been uncomfortable. I suspect my arse and saddle have 'become one' over the years..... 8)
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Aldi cycle tights come with padding, are warm enough for a fairly chilly day, like today but can also be used for MTB ing. And only £9.99, a bargain
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Pete Beer wrote:
    Aldi cycle tights come with padding, are warm enough for a fairly chilly day, like today but can also be used for MTB ing. And only £9.99, a bargain

Hmm yes but won't actually fit you well and I doubt very much if the pad will stay in the place you want it to.
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Can't say I've ever found wearing shorts under tights at all uncomfortable. I might be a bloke, but I still won't wear the same pair of shorts twice if I can help it, but don't have the same issue with tights (if they're worn with shorts underneath), hence I prefer not to have a chamois in them.
  • miffed
    Well I rode in both shorts and tights today and it was excellent. Slightly too hot but that was due to base layer, jersesy, jacket, shorts tights, thick gloves and winter boots on a mild day (forgot to check outside before i left). But no problem with comfort. Seemed to work fine thanks for the advice

J