Calf Cramp?

shmo
shmo Posts: 321
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Since the weather started getting colder my calves have been feeling really tight on the bike and had to stop a couple of times on Sunday to stretch at some hilltops. Had a calf strain while jogging earlier in the year so a bit worried that I had aggravated that but it feels like both calves are cramping up and not just the one I strained.

Could it be because I'm just wearing shorts and should get some tights? My legs don't really feel cold but it has only started happening since the cold weather. Or could it be cleat position? I've just got them screwed in right in the center of the slots at the moment as I couldn't decide whether they were better forward or back.

Cheers if anyone can help.

Comments

• Cyrenne
    Cyrenne Posts: 184
    Shmo wrote:
    Could it be because I'm just wearing shorts and should get some tights? My legs don't really feel cold but it has only started happening since the cold weather. Or could it be cleat position? I've just got them screwed in right in the center of the slots at the moment as I couldn't decide whether they were better forward or back.

Cheers if anyone can help.

Yes! Shorts are for warm summer days.
    More miles under the pedals will ensure cramp is a thing of the past. more or less.
    And your shoeplate position is very personal to you; trial and error and what feels comfortable and efficient. Starting where you are now seems good -- in the middle but any adjustments need to be very small (like saddle height) don't go experimenting with extremes or you'll do yourself an injury.
    good luck!
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    you could be dehydrated.
    try taking some re-hydrate, get some from any chemist . Dioralyte is a good one .
    You could be flushing out your essential Sodium and Pottasium salts and not replacing them. Classic cause of calf cramps
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    You should be wearing logs now.
    I usually were longs once temp is below 15 degrees.
    I now rub olive oil and deep heat in befoe I go out to help keep my legs warm. Warm legs means better circulation.
    Cleat position can also make a difference, but basically your all of foot must be over the pedal, not too far back or forward.
    You also need to ensure you hydrated, remember water alone does no re hydrate you efficiently, you need eloctrolyte in water to help.I do not always drink a lot on ride, but I do drink night before and also before I leave.
  • I use to get bad calf cramp, and it was down to cleat postion - too far forward so too much leverage on my muscle. Your toes should be "floppy" or unstressed when pedalling when the cleat is properly positioned.
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    peanut wrote:
    you could be dehydrated.
    try taking some re-hydrate, get some from any chemist . Dioralyte is a good one .
    You could be flushing out your essential Sodium and Pottasium salts and not replacing them. Classic cause of calf cramps

Dioralyte is the finest hangover cure I've ever had, it tastes absolutely vile though so if you buy it mix it with a fruit juice/cordial that comes somewhere near to whatever flavour you buy.
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    If you think your cleat position needs corrected; do so. COncer pedaling, see if you're pedaling in a 'toes-down' position; if so, try pedaling with the soles parallel to the ground...the next time you start to develop calf cramps, drop a couple of cogs, l(i.e., from 17t to a 21t or 23t) ower your heels and spin at a higher cadence, ~95-100rpm. This should releive the cramps in a minute or two.
    http://www.cptips.com/muspain.htm
    Cajun