Newbie Hi All

jontymo
jontymo Posts: 127
edited November 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi all, as i'm nearing 40 and 16 stone thought it was time to join the mtbing club, started off looking around the £200 mark but in the end and after the misses getting fed up looking around the shops bought myself a GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc 2008 model for £370 from Leisurelakes in Bury, now the bugs bitten and as such the Shimano M540 pedals went on followed by Richey bar ends(the best accessory so far) the shimano boots and so on and so on LOL.
Anyway managed 17 miles last weekend with my mate from work which took just over 3 hours and i must admit felt incredibly knackered afterwards but absolutely chuffed with myself, i only fell off once although could have gone 3/4 times when forgetting feet clamped in lol.
So if anyone near Marsden/Huddersfield/Oldham area wants a riding partner and does not mind waiting (especially on the hills) give me a shout.
I think the site is great for info and look forward to gaining much info on mtbing from now on.

Cheers, Jon

Comments

• Hey Jon,

Kinda in the same position but only nearing 30(!) and much further south. I've found the site to be pretty useful to. Lurked for a while before I started posting. you doing better than me at the mo if you're getting out for 17 miles! :P

Hope you find some riding buddies. Likewise, if there's anyone around the Portsmouth are, let me know if I could tag along sometime!

Have fun, Jess.
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    jontymo wrote:
    So if anyone near Marsden/Huddersfield/Oldham area wants a riding partner and does not mind waiting (especially on the hills) give me a shout.
    I think the site is great for info and look forward to gaining much info on mtbing from now on.

Cheers, Jon

Hi Jon, welcome the the forum and the wacky world of MTB! As you have already discovered you will soon have no money whatsoever but will have one of the best pastimes bar none in which to participate!

Myself and a group of friends live, work and ride in the East Lancashire/West Yorkshire/North-East Manchester area and try to organise a group run at least once a month, usually in the South Pennines area around Todmorden/Hebden Bridge although we do venture further afield sometimes (Lakes, Peaks, North Yorkshire and North Wales are favourites).

We range in abilities from racing snakes through World Tooling About Champion in Waiting (that's if Big Southern Jesse doesn't use his karmic thang to get there first) to absolute beginner. The emphasis is on fun more than mileage and you would be more than welcome to join us. If you wil PM me with your e-mail address, I'll add you to our mailing list.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    Ha you are all a bunch of youngsters!
    46 and weight dropping fast (about 12 stone) due to wife and kids now bitten by the bug Im getting three rides in a week!
    Hooray!
    as for my current locstat Im in Dorset five miles from the blandford freeride park but not brave enough to ride it!
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    hey and if we are talking about world tooling about champions I am the current reigning!
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    Nice one clas, just goes to show i must be on the right track so to speak.

Jon