Winter Beard

Mike Willcox
Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
The hairy growth on my face is now 3 weeks old and will need a trim soon. The best natural aid there is for riding in the cold weather, although mine has got a lot of white in it now.

Anyone else grow a winter beard?

Comments

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Not me - can't stand the itching after five days or so.

You'll have to change your avatar now.
  • I grew one at the insistence of mrs windyphil (all the stars seem to have one - it's trendy). It lasted slightly longer than the five days - until I went for a decent ride. The sweat clinging on then dropping off my tash rather than cleanly evaporating away was the worst kind of torture imaginable and the beard went as soon as I got home!
    If only the legs were as good as the bike....
  • My wife does every year :shock: :? :oops:
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • I tried, but my girlfriend told me that beyond 'designer stubble' I looked like a pillock so I had to shave. I did what I was told, yes I know i'm under the thumb..
  • The grey was too much. I can hide it round the side of my head but not in my stubble :(
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I doubt I could grow a beard, the only real growth I seem to get is underneath my chin and on my neck, and I'd rather wear a Buff than sport a hairy neck-warming beard :lol:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm rocking the chin coverage, always do. As said it's great for the winter and really takes the edge off the cold
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • currently sporting a goatee to keep out the chill - givien my longish hair I'm going through a Damon Hill/George Harrsion kinda look - g/f thinks it suits me so it may well survive into the spring and beyond
  • Why not go for the Matt Hampson fund look aka Geordan Murphy or George Chuter.

http://msn.planetrugby.com/Story/0,1825 ... 03,00.html
  • I'e always wondered about the Paul Griffen style of face warming!!!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41276000/jpg/_41276932_griffen.jpg
  • Geordan_Murphy_of_Leicester_Tigers_sporting_a_601528.jpg

It makes him look so much older, but all for a good cause.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    One day I might grow a power beard:

ellison.jpg
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Nothing compared to Sheldon Brown!
    I have pain!
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Mine is officially a month old today!

It's bloody brilliant for keeping the cold out, and I'm starting to like the look. 8) (where is the beardie smilie?) Some mornings I have FROST in it! But only my ears get the chill!

The only problem is trimming to keep it out of the food. Should I get a proper beard trimmer?

Btw, the gf loves it :shock:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    No No no no no.

Facial hair is all wrong.

What wrong with you. Suffer some wind chill but at least keep your dignity.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    You've never lived etc etc...

Actually, it's pretty nice, until it gets itchy, or starts going in the food... :twisted:
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    When I was packing to cycle from St Andrews to Santiago de Compostela, I was forced to choose between a shaver and a long lens for the camera.

In the end, it took two years to get to Santiago (with a twelve month 'gap year' back at work). I came back with some great photos.

During the 14 months I had the beard, I LOVED it. Easy to maintain, warm and comfortable. I saved 5 minutes a day without the utter faff of shaving, that is 34 hours of my life, released back to me, for me to waste in whatever way I wished.

As soon as I got back from Santiago, there was a family vote, and, within half an hour, the beard was gone. I removed it in stages and begged them to let me spend a day with the gay Dutch policeman moustache, but I was over-ruled, even on that.

I still miss my beard, but I have come to accept that those dear to me hated it. Intensely.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• ean
    ean Posts: 98
    t4tomo wrote:
    No No no no no.

Facial hair is all wrong.

So why did evolution give it to you ?
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk