Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge entries open!

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Dave´s Mega Challenge Sportive has just opened up for entries...its the toughest thing i´ve EVER signed up for..Bwlch PenBarras,Shelf,Horseshoe Pass,World´s End,Moel Arthur, Bwlch Y Groes,Hirnant Pass...and tons of other obstacles aswell. 142 miles.

Ridden the FWC this year but reckon this will be a good deal tougher...can´t wait as North Wales is amazing for a Sportive, Quiet Roads, Cracking scenery, Challenging Terrain.

Its gonna be a shocker on a monumental scale :shock:

Comments

• RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Dave´s Mega Challenge Sportive has just opened up for entries...its the toughest thing i´ve EVER signed up for..Bwlch PenBarras,Shelf,Horseshoe Pass,World´s End,Moel Arthur, Bwlch Y Groes,Hirnant Pass...and tons of other obstacles aswell. 142 miles.

Ridden the FWC this year but reckon this will be a good deal tougher...can´t wait as North Wales is amazing for a Sportive, Quiet Roads, Cracking scenery, Challenging Terrain.

Its gonna be a shocker on a monumental scale :shock:

:D as if there could be anything worse to add to the list...! It's all a bit Monty Python and the holy grail.<better swat up on my favourite colour>
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    Looks like a right belter.

I think places will fill up fast for this one, looking forward to reading about it as unfortunately I cant make it.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr maybe in 2009
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Bit too far away for me but it looks like an amazing ride.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Would love to do this ride having done the CGF last yeat in May in pissiiing down rain, but think it may be a bit mch to do this, then the marmotte the week after, then the Pinarello fondo the week after that, will have to make decision soon.
    Can't really see this one filling up as it is a monster and there will be loads of walking up hills and 142 miles with so much climbing will take a lot of training to complete this one.
    Could be a bit too much for some though I am sure loads will try :D
    Anyone who finishes though will have achieved something cool.
  • 50 in the first day, something tells me this is going to be a tough day out?
    founder of cyclosport.org
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Well its the crazy time of year and I am in as well. I was wanting to do the Marmotte in 2008 but I was lured away with a trip to the Dolomites as I have already done all the climbs in the marmotte.

The Mega Challenge will provide a marmotte like smack in the face type of day in the saddle.
    Brian B.
  • oldwelshman
    I am looking to stay in the Dolomites between the Marmotte and Pinarello :D
    Might see you there.
  • 2009 for me too, unless it clashes with an etape. My excuse is I am not and never will be a climber.....David I am entering the CGF also agin, but will do the super fondo this year and finish it!
  • oldwelshman
    2009 for me too, unless it clashes with an etape. My excuse is I am not and never will be a climber.....David I am entering the CGF also agin, but will do the super fondo this year and finish it!
    You etter stay off the guiness this year then :D
    I am still undecided, never know might do the CFG short notice if weather OK .
    Might do Lloydy's challenge depends how I feel and what prep I do.
    I might just go to the top of the last climb on CFG just to watch you comng over it after 118 miles :D
  • I have started hill reps already........no giuness next year that I can be sure of :shock:
  • oldwelshman
    Steve, I am leaning towards doing this ride and missing the marmotte and go straight to Dolomites for few days before Pinarello.
    Looks like I will be with you for a couple of miles :D
    I might take my tent and camp as it should be a bit warmer than the CGF.
  • I've had the 'pleasure' of riding over all the route (but not in one go!) when I lived in Mold. Some bits are questionable in that I could have added some extra hills.....! It will most definately be hard. Bwlch Pen Barras, almost straight from the start, and I'd say one of the hardest climbs in the country. You're going up the easier sides of the Horseshoe and the Bwlch Y Groes, so that's a pity in a way, but so be it (and not that much of a pity when you're legs have blown...).

There is so little flat in general it's going to be a struggle - MAJOR league climbs are the Bwlch Pen Barras, the rear of the Bwlch Y Groes, Hirnant Pass, Worlds End and the road Denbigh to Brenig. The rest like the Shelf, Rhosesmor, Moel Arthur, etc. are also very hard, but the top 5 remain as above.

Those who are doing it need to watch the descents. Many of the descents are narrow and twisty - but great fun! Just don't go mad as the road can have habit of disappearing too quickly on some descents. The blast from the top of the Bwlch Y Groes and the Hirnant are great - and the main road descents of the Bwlch (the road back in to Ruthin after the Bwlch Pen Barras), the Horseshoe (ignore the video of that, they showed the slow and false flat bit, not the good bits), and the descent in to Cerrigydrudion are fast - 50mph poss on the Horseshoe with some back wind and deffo poss in to Cerrig.

Oooooooooooo, i wish I could do it.......................

Now, all I've got to do is get Dave Lloyd's website to clear up the terrible Welsh spelling, and correct the bit on the video that said "England's answer to the Marmotte"..... England's???? Tush, tush!
    www.wellandvalleycc.co.uk

If you see me out riding, then you\'re mistaken...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've had the 'pleasure' of riding over all the route (but not in one go!) when I lived in Mold. Some bits are questionable in that I could have added some extra hills.....! It will most definately be hard. Bwlch Pen Barras, almost straight from the start, and I'd say one of the hardest climbs in the country. You're going up the easier sides of the Horseshoe and the Bwlch Y Groes, so that's a pity in a way, but so be it (and not that much of a pity when you're legs have blown...).

There is so little flat in general it's going to be a struggle - MAJOR league climbs are the Bwlch Pen Barras, the rear of the Bwlch Y Groes, Hirnant Pass, Worlds End and the road Denbigh to Brenig. The rest like the Shelf, Rhosesmor, Moel Arthur, etc. are also very hard, but the top 5 remain as above.

Those who are doing it need to watch the descents. Many of the descents are narrow and twisty - but great fun! Just don't go mad as the road can have habit of disappearing too quickly on some descents. The blast from the top of the Bwlch Y Groes and the Hirnant are great - and the main road descents of the Bwlch (the road back in to Ruthin after the Bwlch Pen Barras), the Horseshoe (ignore the video of that, they showed the slow and false flat bit, not the good bits), and the descent in to Cerrigydrudion are fast - 50mph poss on the Horseshoe with some back wind and deffo poss in to Cerrig.

Oooooooooooo, i wish I could do it.......................

Now, all I've got to do is get Dave Lloyd's website to clear up the terrible Welsh spelling, and correct the bit on the video that said "England's answer to the Marmotte"..... England's???? Tush, tush!

I know the Bwlch Penbarras will be severely tough and could possibly be the toughest climb in the event? But this year I did the Wild Wales Challenge...it finished with Bwlch Y Groes the hard way from Dinas then the Hirnant. I must confess I do like a real stiff challenge but I think that adding the Bwlch Y Groes from Dinas would have been too much...Its along with Hardknott West the toughest climb ive ever encountered in the UK, it averages 15% for 2.4kms....and with this being 142miles/5000meters climbing I reckon its as tough as any sportif shoule EVER be....i'm happy with doing the Bwlch from Lake Bala :wink: