Sportive Events medical enquiry

Mike Willcox
Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
When you submit an entry to ride an event such as the Etape, do you have to complete a medical questionnaire to see if you have any underlying condition that might affect your ability to ride?

Even though I've had a couple of heart attacks I believe I could do an excellent ride, but don't fancy applying if my entry is refused on medical grounds.

Comments

• IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    "...open to licensed and non licensed cyclists and amateur racing cyclists aged at least 18 during the year (born before 01/01/1990). “Competition” licence holders must send in with their application a photocopy of their licence for 2007. Other competitors (FFCT licence holders and non licence holders) must supply the original or a photocopy of a medical certificate stipulating that they are “fit to take part in cycling races” no more than 3 months old on the date of application."
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Mike,

For the etape you'll have to get a form signed by a doctor saying you're fit to take part. When I got mine signed it was BP check, few other standard things and "do you have ny problems" question from the doctor.

So if your doc will sign it off then you'll be fine.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • IanTrcp wrote:
    "...open to licensed and non licensed cyclists and amateur racing cyclists aged at least 18 during the year (born before 01/01/1990). “Competition” licence holders must send in with their application a photocopy of their licence for 2007. Other competitors (FFCT licence holders and non licence holders) must supply the original or a photocopy of a medical certificate stipulating that they are “fit to take part in cycling races” no more than 3 months old on the date of application."

Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated. The question remains however whether or not my GP will provide a certificate. By any normal standards he would probably not but hey I'm not normal. :D

Strangely I've entered open TT's, could even ride a 12 hours TT without a medical certificate but I'm not saying that that's right either. I know that in the first couple of months after a heart attack the advice is you shouldn't drive, although there is no law against it. My Insurance Company said no problem, carry on.

Can anyone tell me how far in advance these applications have to be sent in in order to secure a place?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Mike,

For the etape you'll have to get a form signed by a doctor saying you're fit to take part. When I got mine signed it was BP check, few other standard things and "do you have ny problems" question from the doctor.

So if your doc will sign it off then you'll be fine.

Thanks Iain.
  • Can anyone tell me how far in advance these applications have to be sent in in order to secure a place?

Mike, take a look at www.etape.org.uk. Lots of useful information and the guy that runs it is very helpful if you get in touch by email.