Giant XTC 1 2008 OR Diamonback Axis 2007 OR other? HELP!

jackbaps
jackbaps Posts: 15
edited November 2007 in MTB beginners
Hello, I am new to biking but am looking to start and do it very often so I wanted the best bike in my budget. I have MAX £950 to spend.

I have been looking for a while and have got it down to either the:

Diamondback Axis 2007

http://www.nationalcycles.co.uk/diamondback-axis.html

OR

Giant XTC 1 2008

http://www.nationalcycles.co.uk/giant-xtc-1-2008.html

with the Diamondback Apex 2007 coming close for VFM (value for money)

http://www.nationalcycles.co.uk/diamondback-apex.html

Which would you reccomend for me? Or are there other better ones out there?

I am looking for a bike to ride over a cross between road (for fairly long rides 15miles) and lots off road to .

I am in the dilema of which bike to get and would appriciate the help massively as I dont want to make a mistake. What are the above bikes like? Does one stand out from the rest? What order would you place them in from 1st - 3rd? (1st being the best etc)

Also I don't mind you suggesting others around the same price if you have any in mind, e.g. the saracen zen 3.

Thanks a lot, Jack Rawles.

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Jack

Of the three that you've shortlisted so far, the Giant is the highest specification. But then it is the most expensive!

To be honest, if this is your first MTB I'd be very wary about buying mail order. You would be far better off visiting a number of bike shops and seeing what they have to offer. You will then also be able to try the bikes for size, get first hand advice about fitting and specifications, and a reputable shop should be prepared to let you have a test ride. If you can tell us where you are in the country, we can probably poitn you in the right direction.

Also, if you visit a shop at this time of year, it's a good time to pick up a bargain. Most dealers will be trying like mad to get rid of their 2007 stock, so get your haggling hat on and a big wad of cash in your back pocket. Bargain like an Arab at the Camels-r-Us clearance sale. If you can't get any money off the bike, see what accessories they'll throw in - don't forget to budget for helmet, gloves, short liners, hydro pack, pump, basic tools, etc.

The bikes that you have listed are all good brands with long pedigrees - but don't discount the likes of Marin, Trek, GT, Mongoose, Specialized and Scott too.

BTW - welcome to the wacky world of MTB, and be prepared to be skint in no time at all!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Hey thanks for the quick reply mate! As yet I have not ruled out any makes...just from looking around on the internet etc they are the ones that have jumped out at me!

I livein South Wales (Carmarthenshire). If someone could point me out in the right direction for local bike stores thewn that would be great help!

I have tried many bikes before (in halfords just for size) and seem to prefer the 18" frame.

Thanks, Jack
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All frames are different though, one 18 is not the same as another! Angles, geometry, top tube lngth, bottom bracket height... trying for size is a must.
  • What do you do if the bike you want is not at your local bike store and they just order the more expensive bikes in. How do you go about trying it for size?
  • supersonic
    With difficulty lol. Sometimes it pays to travel a bit or try out other models. Lots to be had a this price - and the model you want may not be the one thats good anyway for you. I'd go and try half a dozen or so.
  • Yer I understand buddy. Thanks for that! Do you/others suggest any other models in particular? As Dave has mentioned some good makes but they have quite a lot of models.

• supersonic
    Good advice from Dave, these manufacturers are well regarded. Here are a few models to peruse:

GT Zaskar Expert
    Trek 8000
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro
  • dave_hill
    jackbaps wrote:
    I livein South Wales (Carmarthenshire). If someone could point me out in the right direction for local bike stores thewn that would be great help!

Don't know if they're near you, but try Sunset Cycles in Cardiff. They've got some cracking deals going on at the moment on 2007 and even some 2006 model bikes and are main agents for Kona, Orange, GT, Trek and Mongoose
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Thanks again guys. Cardiff is about an hour and a hlaf fromme so I will look for some more local cycles stores. Thanks though!

Another thing, going from your advice about my first bike etc...maybe I shouldn't be aiming so high?

How about the Giant XTC 2.5 2007 (for deals) and 2008. I suppose they offer similar to the xtc 1 but obviously some different parts.

http://www.awcycles.co.uk/brands/Giant/ ... index.aspx

http://www.nationalcycles.co.uk/giant-xtc-2-5-2008.html

Again...buying from the shop as you say will be prefered but I am just widening my choice.
  • dave_hill
    There's no harm in aiming high, but bear in mind that if you shell out the thick end of £1000 on a bike and then six months down the line discover you don't like it, you won't get back anything like what you spent.

On the other hand, a higher-specced bike is more likely to enhance your intial experience and encourage you keep at it.

I'm afraid that it really is horses for courses. My advice would be to get the best bike that you can possibly justify, bearing in mind the additional outlay that you'll need to make for those first few essential accessories.

Chances are that if you are aiming at the £700 to £900 range, you'll get a pretty reasonable frame which is always a good starting point for upgrades.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I dont mind about little nic nacs...christmas is coming! LOL!

After a days looking on the net I am stearing towards the Giant Xtc range. From the 3.5 to the 1. There isn't much of a difference between the 1 and the 2.5 but the 3.5 seems to have a lot less "quality" features. So that one may be out of the question?!

I am going to get down to my local dealer and have a word with him. Just out of curiosity...taking looks into account aswell (a little bit silly I know) for the money Giant Xtc 1 or 2.5? Plus why?

Thanks a lot guys, jack.
  • dave_hill
    The XTC 1 and 2,5 seem to be much of a muchness, but as far as I can make out...

The 1 has more name-brand parts where as the 2,5 uses more Giant in-house parts (things like handlebars, seatpost, stem, etc.) This is no bad thing - Giant's in-house parts are every bit as good as many named brands

The 1 has better brakes than the 2,5 (Hayes Stroker Trail as opposed to Avid Juicy 3) although I am sure that someone will pull me up on that one!

The 1 uses a predominantly SRAM drivetrain, where the 2,5 is Shimano. Not a lot in it really although Shimano perhaps gets the nod on slickness and availability of spares.

If it was my money, I'd go with the 2,5 - it's a bit cheaper and the spec is not much different to the 1, so it's difficult to justify the £150 price difference in my book.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • UPDATE

I went to my local bike store only to find out that they have the XTC range from the 2.5 to the 4.5 in stock upstairs! Was well chuffed. Am going back next week for a test drive of the 2.5 in the dry! It looks a VERY nice bike. Wasn't sure on the frame size though? It said 5"6 - 5"10. What size would that be? 16,18? Hmmmm.

Thanks again, jack
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    that size sounds like a 16 but try both sizes and see which you prefer, manufacturers put suggested sizes on their bikes to help you choose but in general, i always prefer a bike that is "too small" for me.

as every one has already said, make sure you buy the best bike you can afford as i would put money on you wanting to upgrade in the future!!

as for other choices, try these:

saracen
    another saracen
    specialized